LegacyGT.com

unexpecting find while replacing turbo

Well today I took the turbo out of my 07 gt.....expecting to take a vf40 out, mind you I've already bought another vf40 off a 08 wrx thats getting swapped in. Now What I pulled out was not a vf40, it was a vf46. Any Ideas on to how this thing hasnt blown the car up yet being I drove it on stock map for about say 7 months and the last 3 on cobb stage 2 map. The car always seemed to run harder than most others but I could never figure out why.....until now.

whomp whomp whomp.... hope you can get a refund Chris. Was the vf40 or TD04 you had intended to install a replacement for a factory turbo that was on its way out the door or were you looking to upgrade?

Just a thought, if looking to upgrade, an 09 STi "VF52" is certainly an upgrade or BNR Supercars out of AL has a few different setups that are relatively inexpensive. Two of which, the 16G and 18G, require really no supporting mods but a tune...

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

• I Donated
Just a thought, if looking to upgrade, an 09 STi "VF52" is certainly an upgrade or BNR

Supercars out of AL has a few different setups that are relatively inexpensive. Two of which, the 16G and 18G, require really no supporting mods but a tune...

The VF52 is the 09+ WRX turbo. The 08+ STI uses the VF48. And the 18G should really have fuel mods, and even the 16G needs Stage 2 level mods.

The VF52 is the 09+ WRX turbo. The 08+ STI uses the VF48.

I stand corrected. In any case either would be an upgrade though...

And the 18G should really have fuel mods, and even the 16G needs Stage 2 level mods.

nah, the 18G does just fine on factory fuel system. Dont expect it to reach its true potential without fuel mods though.

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

• I Donated
nah, the 18G does just fine on factory fuel system. Dont expect it to reach its true potential without fuel mods though.

Define "does fine." It has more lag than a 16G, and won't make much more power, so you don't get a lot for your extra $50 unless you spend the money on injectors and a fuel pump. I was choosing between them when I got my 16G, and the general consensus was that if I wasn't planning on fuel mods, I was wasting my money.

BTW, the VF48 won't work as a plug-and-play upgrade -- it's an 02-07 WRX style turbo, so you need to replace the intake manifold and intercooler too if you want to use it.

Define "does fine." It has more lag than a 16G, and won't make much more power, so you don't get a lot for your extra $50 unless you spend the money on injectors and a fuel pump. I was choosing between them when I got my 16G, and the general consensus was that if I wasn't planning on fuel mods, I was wasting my money.

BTW, the VF48 won't work as a plug-and-play upgrade -- it's an 02-07 WRX style turbo, so you need to replace the intake manifold and intercooler too if you want to use it.

or just go front mount and keep your manifold :)

Define "does fine."

I mean it runs without any codes or weird business. As stated, you wont see its full potential without fuel mods but if hes in the position I was, (blown turbo, short on funds, needs a replacement but doesnt have an extra $1000-1500 to throw down on supporting mods yet.) it will work without upgrading fuel system.

Archived