LegacyGT.com

Best paint / body shop in SD or OC??

FletchLives

Last night I got side swiped on my way home from work by some dude not paying attention. He thrashed the driver's side rear door and rear quarter panel on my silver 05 LGT Wagon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good body/paint shop. I am thinking about just going to a dealer to ensure I get factory parts and paint. I live in Oceanside, but since I have only had HORRIBLE service from Bob B4aker Subaru in Carlsbad, I was thinking of taking it to either Irvine Subaru in Lake Forest or Kearny Mesa Subaru in San Diego.

Anyone had any experience with either of these shops in the past?? I seem to remember hearing very good things about Irvine Subaru.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

How bad is it? Severe dents or just scraped paint? The guy who I know worked for Boyd Coddington (Charley Hutton replaced him in the shop) so he's very good. LMK and I'll PM you his info. He's local / North County.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Subie,

Thanks for the fast response. I attached some pics. I hope they came through. The damage is worse on the rear door, but there are also some small creases in the rear quarter panel too.

Do you have any thoughts on the use of a dealership idea, or do you think it will be done better at an independent shop? Obviously I'm concerned with the use of factory replacement parts and paint matching.....

Anyway, thanks again for your input. I will be calling insurance today to get the ball rolling...........

100_8010.thumb.jpg.68a4b9ba2dddaf62c1424f856d9c4500.jpg

100_8006.thumb.jpg.6ba7b343ac5551d67e2ef59e019cb3d5.jpg

100_8013.thumb.jpg.425601efb1aeb97da55585401ad356f1.jpg

Well the rear door will need to be reskinned and/or replaced and the left quarter will need to be undented and refinished. For body repairs, I recommend Bob Baker Subaru in El Cajon. Have had some work done there over the years and they do a great job. I'll also check with my guy and see if he has his own shop as well.

I don't have any actual experience with this, but I didn't think any dealers would have in house bodywork people. Am I wrong? If possible, I'd rather deal directly with whoever is doing the work, rather than have the dealership in the middle.

Maybe dealers will give the name of who they use?

BBS in El Cajon has an on-site body shop. It's convenient and they are right next to parts department so getting OEM parts is super easy. Plus they do really good work.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Unfortunately, due to my poor experiences with BB Subaru in Carlsbad, I am hesitant/reluctant to give money to any of their locations.

Anyone have experiences, good or bad, with some of the big body shops that seem to be directly linked with the insurance companies, i.e., Caliber Collision, etc...????

I am still waiting to hear back from my insurance adjuster, so I have some time left to figure out a direction. And at least the drive-ability of the car has not been compromised in any way...

I am of course open to, and welcome, all suggestions. However; I definitely want a shop that is at least big enough to stand behind their work and be able to ensure a "factory" finish with factory parts.

The insurance companies will be paying for it, so I am not worried about saving a dollar here or there. I have already be informed by my insurer that I am 100% not at fault and will not be incurring any expenses on my end.

do you want big names or any shop that does a good job?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good body/paint shop.

He asked for "really good". If they happen to be a big name, I don't see why he'd mind.

Who's your insurance company? You should read your policy if your policy covers new OEM parts, or if the policy allows the use of Aftermarket Parts. Also be aware, they will probably have to blend your left front door as well, and anytime they apply clear on any silver paint, the finish becomes darker.

bigman, thanks for chiming in. My insurer is AAA. I do not know specifically if the policy allows for the use of aftermarket parts. CA law says that you can not be forced to accept aftermarket parts, except....... Then there are lots of loopholes that would allow and insurance company to use aftermarket parts whether you like it or not.

I talked to a shop that said very few aftermarket parts exist for Subaru's due to their relatively small numbers when compared to other autos, especially for something like my rear door and qtr. panel. I think I'd have more to worry about aftermarket parts if there were bolt on parts like a front fender or bumper shroud. We'll see.

As for the paint, that is actually my biggest concern. I hope that with modern technology that they can match paint far better than in past years.

So far I am thinking of using one of the Insurance Cos. direct repair facility since AAA will provide a secondary satisfaction guarantee to the work quality. So far the options in my area are:

Len's Auto Body - Oceanside

Coast Collision - Carlsbad

Henson & Sons - Escondido

Caliber Collision - Many locations...

Has anybody had any experience with any of these shops??

I am initially leaning towards Len's or Henson & Sons.... So far, I am relying on a single recommendation and the quality and professionalism of their respective websites...

Archived