LegacyGT.com

brake noise

I am having this brake "moan" after driving for a while.

symptoms are as follows:

- sound is only heard when brakes are applied gradually to come to a full stop, i.e. coming to a stop for a red light. at this point, we are assuming it is not from the wheel hub bearings.

- sounds like a door creaking (not squeaking or squealing!) open, think of those old time horror flicks.

- emanates from the driver side front.

based on those things, what could this sound be? is it a symptom of a sticking caliper? or just a characteristic of the brake pads i have? <(Napa pads).

....on a side note, i have to figure out why the words on the forum is in German..

Drive next to a building with a big wall, roll down the window and see if you can hear the sound better.

How old are the brake pads ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

pads and rotors are not worn down, about 6 months old. did the proper bedding instructions too.

kinda sounds like a theremin sweeping on the lower register. the kind of sound effect you would hear when expressing a frown or disappointment.

sorry, that's the best way i can describe it for now :lol:

I have had odd noises. What I do is inspect everything to make sure it's properly TQ'd and there are no visible signs of brake damage or lack of pads.

Assuming everything is A-Ok otherwise I do a few hot runs where I heat up the pads. Stopping 30-5,40-5,60-5,40-5 and then a cool down. Don't allow ABS to kick in or come to a complete stop.

This has resolved everything but failing to apply grease to the back of the pads.

Archived