LegacyGT.com

Tight steering after mechanic dropped engine for spark plugs

Took the old girl to my go-to man (he has worked on both my cars for the last five years) and asked him to do the plugs since I'm at 120k miles. 2005 LGT. He said he dropped the engine a few inches to swap them out, and now the steering is tight. Brand new P/S pump, so it isn't anything to do with the power steering... But for example if I go around a turn and let go of the wheel, I will continue to turn. Its tight in that respect.

Guys, did he **** something up when he dropped the engine??

Unrelated, but I figure I would ask about it. she still stutters when pulling hard through 3-6k revs. Took the oil control valves out and sprayed them out with WD-40, noticeably better idle but still stumbles during a hard pull. I'm thinking it's a boost leak. Any ideas?

Check the lines for kinks/crimps. What's the fluid level look like? "Dropped" the engine means he pulled the engine out of the car to replace the spark plugs? The FSM procedure for engine removal includes dismounting the PS pump from the block and draping it over or into the right fenderwell after the air box is removed. However, its not necessary for something routine like spark plugs. Educate your guy, or find a new one who knows what he's doing -- poor or improper maintenance on these engines by a mechanic who knows other cars, but not Subarus, can sour your relationship with said mechanic very quickly. Do you like him enough to let him cause you up to seven thousand dollars worth of damage to your car?

Well, when I spoke with him, he only said he dropped the engine a few inches. I can't be more specific without asking him.

Do you really think it might be a kink in a line? My initial thought was that he had bent the steering shaft from how it feels, but I am no expert, and I've only owned this car for a month. I'll look over the lines and see if I can find anything.

Thank you for responding.

Just a bit of advice, let this guy do your other cars, but find a Subaru-only shop in your area. Do not go back to the dealership, either.

The plugs are hard to get at, being on the sides and all the way in there, but the engine should not have come out to do that job.

When you say dropped the the engine, do you mean he literally dropped it from below, as opposed to pulling it up from the top? Doing so would require removing the steering rack to get at the crossmember subframe, which would mean he could have damaged some of the steering gear in the process. Heck, how long did it take him to do this? I don't see why anyone would try to remove the engine from the bottom of the car, but that would take the better part of a day to do, even in experienced hands.

Ask him how he accessed the plugs to replace them -- if he truly did undo the motor to get at them, I would thank him for his service and take that particular car to someone who knows what they're doing.

Sounds like he unbolted the crossmember. Easy enough to do (without removing the rack) but not the way I'd go about it.

Right. Still doesn't make sense, though. Instead of coming at it from the top, you'd have to negotiate over/around the axles to get at the plugs. Doesn't make sense.

OP, to bend the steering shaft, he'd had to have actually dropped (with force!) the engine on/against it.

Have you taken it back to him and reported the problem?

I unbolt the motor mounts from the crossmember and raise the engine a couple of inches when doing VC gaskets. . . which is usually when I do plugs anyway.

Helpful on the turbo 4's, necessity on the h6's.

If he dropped down the crossmember without disconnecting the steering U-joint, it's very possible he bent the steering shaft, rack, or damaged the u-joint. There's very little wiggle room in that system.When I've replaced crossmembers (with the rack attached), I raise the crossmember up until it's just about in contact with the body and connect the steering u-joint, then raise it all the way up, cinch up the crossmember, and tighten it up.

It's also possible he just dislodged the steering shaft from the hole it goes through in the firewall. I can see that happening very easily. If that's the case, hopefully you can just unbolt the column from where it attaches to the dash and reseat it.

Right. Still doesn't make sense, though. Instead of coming at it from the top, you'd have to negotiate over/around the axles to get at the plugs. Doesn't make sense.

OP, to bend the steering shaft, he'd had to have actually dropped (with force!) the engine on/against it.

Have you taken it back to him and reported the problem?

Axles are well behind the plugs, so they don't get in the way. Engine under cover and mud guards do, but they're easy enough to remove. . . and if he dropped the crossmember, he definitely removed the engine under cover.

Ok, haven't taken my car back to my hometown guy, but to a Subaru shop. Had some work done that I needed anyway. I asked about the steering and they say that both my P/S pump and rack are leaking!! Just one month ago a brand new pump was installed.

I'll be taking it back to my guy and seeing what I can do (or have him do) since the problem never existed before and it was profound after he had finished with it.

Owner for one month and headaches are constant...

Ok, haven't taken my car back to my hometown guy, but to a Subaru shop. Had some work done that I needed anyway. I asked about the steering and they say that both my P/S pump and rack are leaking!! Just one month ago a brand new pump was installed.

I'll be taking it back to my guy and seeing what I can do (or have him do) since the problem never existed before and it was profound after he had finished with it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru ownership!

I owned mine for less than 24 hours before the headaches started. But just try to pry it away from me.

Once you get it sorted out, you'll be able to enjoy it. It's not a hard car to work on yourself, doing so makes ownership much more enjoyable.

Well, when I spoke with him, he only said he dropped the engine a few inches. I can't be more specific without asking him.

Do you really think it might be a kink in a line? My initial thought was that he had bent the steering shaft from how it feels, but I am no expert, and I've only owned this car for a month. I'll look over the lines and see if I can find anything.

Thank you for responding.

My mechanic (20years wrenching Subaru) took the same approach. However no issues.

OP. you said the car has new PS pump. go drive the car in figure 8's at low speed in a parking lot. Go lock to lock on the steering wheel do this about 4 or 5 times. See if the steering feels better.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived