LegacyGT.com

05 LGT TOB whine - time for new clutch ?

SubOperator

Recently the TOB on my 05 LGT started making all kinds of noise. With 119K on it I think it is time to get the original OEM DM clutch replaced as well. Want to go SM flywheel route and from reading various threads it looks like I need the following (all references to FBP since I want to use subie bucks, and I will be getting OEM parts):

1. Subaru OEM 2007-2009 LGT Clutch set including TOB and SM flywheel for 06+ WRX/07+ LGT (part #12342AA090) - SKU: PK302107FW, http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-o-e-m-clutch-kit-s.html

2. New set of flywheel bolts (8 total) - SKU 800610740, http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-single-mass-flywheel-bolts.html

3. New front axle gaskets SKU: 806735290/806735300, - http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-front-axle-seals.html

4. Tranquil Trans Snout Kit - http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-tranquil-tsk3-sleeve-kit.html.

Am I missing anything here ? Not really sure about #4 - it is "recommended" part. Did anyone use it ?

I am not looking to get this done myself as I don't have tranny lift and air tools. How much do good shops typically charge for clutch replacement ?

Thank you guys, any help is really appreciated.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you're running stage 2, I wouldn't get an OEM 07+ clutch. It will hold the power, but might wear after 50-60k miles. I can recommend the FX300, but I'm very curious how the FX200 is in comparison. I also like the ACT HDSS for its firm pedal (FX300 is a very soft clutch pedal).

Definitely get the TSK3. I was debating whether to get one, but I'm glad I did - had some minor burring of the quill.

The hex bolts are a recommended part, but I reused the torx bolts since I like them :\

I assume you've done timing belt and coolant flush around 105k? If not, I'd highly recommend pulling the engine to do all the work. The timing belt is a breeze and you can use the extra access to install a killer b oil pickup and baffle.

Thanks for the responses, looks like the TSK3 is something I will have to buy as well. I will get the bolts just as precaution - less than 20 bucks for all, so cheap insurance to have them readily available. Torx botls - are they just regular T50 heads ? I have the regular T50 bit, but FBP is also offering one for clutch torx bolts, I do not know what the difference is. I did get the timing belt, water pump and thermostat replaced, along with MT oil and spark plugs replaced. Just need to change the coolant (will tackle it with oil change this weekend), and damn rear LSD oil change - I couldn't get the drain plug out no matter what I did. Time to get some airtools... I have KillerB oil pickup installed long time ago as I was one of the early adopters.

Now back to the clutch... I've been running Stage2 for last few years and I put ~40-50K on the OEM clutch with it while also teaching my older son to drive stick (sorry clutch). I also autoxed the car before that :) So last 40-50K out of current total 119K the OEM clutch was under Stage 2 power and mild abuse; however, I can't tell that it slips (may be it does I just do not feel that). If not for whining TOB I would just keep driving it.

Car is DD first and foremost, I don't expect to ever take it beyond Stage2 or track it either; so hoped for reliability of OEM clutch - after I read few threads here about issues with aftermarket clutches I feel somewhat cold to the idea :)

Thanks for help !

I think I used a regular T50, but I can't confirm (it was in a Stanley set IIRC and did the work at my parents' house with a engine lift).

Coolant is very easy to do.

For the FX300, it uses an Exedy pressure plate so it has a softer-than-stock pedal vs. the 05 Dual Mass FW and clutch setup.

Buy the Torx Plus tp50+ from them. It takes away one of the big headaches in doing this job.

I used the impact gun with mine and had no problem removing the torx plus tp50+ bolts.

Here's my old clutch being removed.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4724.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Got it. Was looking at the pictures and that TSK3 kit - does it go over the TOB? So in other words do I need to get BOTH TSK3 _and_ new TOB? Sorry for lame questions :) but I can't figure out that looking at the pics and FBP didn't answer to my email yet.

No, you need the TSK3 kit. It includes an oversized TOB and a sleeve for the quill. You cannot use the OEM replacement TOB once you switch to the TSK3 kit.

You can also buy just the replacement TSk tob when it comes time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I may skip OEM clutch, but then need to decide between FX200 and FX300. I would like to get equally soft or softer than OEM pedal feel - I have sports injury from years back affecting my left knee, plus wife takes the car sometimes and she also autocrosses and I wouldn't like to discourage her by putting a very heavy clutch pedal in the car.

Does anyone have experience with both ?

THAT's how I get my mod budgets approved :)

You're a lucky man, though I can't complain much either.

Regarding the clutch, I can't help you much since I am still using my OEM one. But I am kinda with you on the fact that I would not want a new clutch where the pedal would be harder to push. Even with the OEM one, my leg gets tired when I am stuck in heavy traffic.

I may skip OEM clutch, but then need to decide between FX200 and FX300. I would like to get equally soft or softer than OEM pedal feel - I have sports injury from years back affecting my left knee, plus wife takes the car sometimes and she also autocrosses and I wouldn't like to discourage her by putting a very heavy clutch pedal in the car.

Does anyone have experience with both ?

FX300 is significantly lighter than the DMFW/stock :(

I'm guessing he has found out the engine dosen't like the LWFW at low RPM's. I find that my wagon doesn't like being in 5th gear at 40mph. With the old DMFW it really didn't care.

I'm guessing he has found out the engine dosen't like the LWFW at low RPM's. I find that my wagon doesn't like being in 5th gear at 40mph. With the old DMFW it really didn't care.

I read about this, but this should be the case only if you use CM LWFW which is iirc 13lbs; I was going to buy FX300 kit from FBP that comes *without* LWFW and use 06+WRX SMFW which is ~23lbs, almost same ballpark as 05-06 OEM DMFW (~29lbs).

Weights for OEM DMFW and SMFW are listed in this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/just-fyi-photo-comparison-dual-mass-vs-single-mass-flywheels-129928.html

Do I understand this correctly ? Don't want to f* up :rolleyes:

Some *potentially* bad news. Was talking to Ryan at FBP about parts availability and he informed me the 07+ OEM SMFW *may not* fit my 05 LGT due to its early build date (02/2005, he used VIN to verify).

They had issues in the past (details unknown at this point) but if it does not fit I can't return it :(

Did any of you guys hear of fitment issues for 07+ SMFW on 05-06 LGTs ? I wonder if FBP got hosed by people trying to by smart.

Damn.

Archived