LegacyGT.com

Dash, What Makes It Different??

Question: The dealer told me to make sure whomever details my car ('06 LegGTwgn Ltd.) that they should be very careful when cleaning the dash, because it's not vinyl, and doen't take to the normal (e.g. cheapo) cleaning/restorative products. What is the dash covered in, and what the heck do you keep it nice and shiny with?

TIa,

UB

That's the first I've heard of it not being normal. I use a product that is actually pretty hard to find now that Detail City isn't carrying the Four Star line. Generally to clean up the dash I just use Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. It does a great job of cleaning everything up. For UV protection I would suggest using something designed for that though. 303 Aerospace Protectant would be a good direction to go. I still have several interior products I want to test out including the ones in the Wolfgang lineup. This product will be in my next order from http://www.detailcity.com.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Not really. Wipes are for when you want to save time and get it done really quick, not for when you want to do it right and actually get some protection on your dash. Meguiar's makes some good wipes, but they are just for saving time and shouldn't be the only way you clean or protect your rubber and vinyl inside you car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Definitely let me know what you think about it. I'm not putting in an order for a couple weeks, so you'll know how it works before I do.

Will do. I can't wait for my order to come. I ordered their interior/exterior package along with a few other things and bought some clay magic at autozone. Too bad it isn't coming till monday and it is supposed to rain for the next week because i really wanted to detail my new car!

I noticed that with my 06 sedan that if you look real close its a different shade(because of the texture) and has a different feel to it. When I do the top of my doors with meguires it goes on real smooth but with the dash it almost stains it for a few secs. when I spray it and its so hard to get all the dust off. Maybe its just the 06's.

I noticed that with my 06 sedan that if you look real close its a different shade(because of the texture) and has a different feel to it. When I do the top of my doors with meguires it goes on real smooth but with the dash it almost stains it for a few secs. when I spray it and its so hard to get all the dust off. Maybe its just the 06's.

Exactly. doesn't feel like your run of the mill vinyl. More like "pleather". Don't want to ef it up and but something that will stain it or make it less durable in the long run.

Exactly. doesn't feel like your run of the mill vinyl. More like "pleather". Don't want to ef it up and but something that will stain it or make it less durable in the long run.

I noticed this too. I'm going to try to spot check the wolfgang stuff somewhere. The dash is not shiny vinyl on the 06 but is kind of textured. What are people using to clean their 06 dash boards?

I hate shiny dashes. I would rather it looks clean and new than shiny.Not to mention, most shiny cleaners will collect dirt faster.

What are some non shiny cleaners that protect because I too like the non shiny look?

Sometimes I like the super glossy look. It isn't very practical for daily driving, but for a show I do a lot of things that aren't practical. Things like dressing the wheel wells and even the tire tread for example. Super shiney dashes look good in show, but they suck in real life. Avoid them if you can. Usually the bottle will say if it is super shiney. That makes them easy to avoid.

OCDETAILS BLOG

What are some non shiny cleaners that protect because I too like the non shiny look?

I know that Armor All makes an actual cleaning wipe, but I am not sure if it's what Subaru considers safe on their dash. It works great for my wrangler though.

When I reconned cars, we used leather cleaners on these kinds of dashes. I loved the smell of those, made the car smell good with the kind we used. Hell, if you already have leather seats, might as well just use a leather cleaner for everything to be safe.

I know that Armor All makes an actual cleaning wipe, but I am not sure if it's what Subaru considers safe on their dash. It works great for my wrangler though.

When I reconned cars, we used leather cleaners on these kinds of dashes. I loved the smell of those, made the car smell good with the kind we used. Hell, if you already have leather seats, might as well just use a leather cleaner for everything to be safe.

I was specifically told NOT to use Armor All on the Subee dash, thus precipitating this forum thread.

I've used ArmorAll protectant, Low Shine, Low-Gloss Finish since I bought my LGT in September '05. I've had no problems at all with the dash or other parts of the interior. Provides exactly what it says it's suppose to do: "It gives you the clean, shine and protection you expect form ArmorAll Protectant, but leaves a lower shine great for today's matte finishes. Low Shine Protectant not only slows the aging process but minimizes glare".

Someone's yankin your chain

I've used ArmorAll protectant, Low Shine, Low-Gloss Finish since I bought my LGT in September '05. I've had no problems at all with the dash or other parts of the interior. Provides exactly what it says it's suppose to do: "It gives you the clean, shine and protection you expect form ArmorAll Protectant, but leaves a lower shine great for today's matte finishes. Low Shine Protectant not only slows the aging process but minimizes glare".

Someone's yankin your chain

Sure sounds like it. So it has UV protection, too?

Many years ago, when I was a grad student, one of the other grad students armor-alled their Dodge colt dash with the high gloss Armorall. It was a hot summer day and he rolled up the windows after he applied it.

The next day, the Armorall had evaporated and then condensed onto the windshield. He never did get that gunk completely off. :)

I use Armorall on my cars but I always apply it in a garage, use the low shine and I roll down the windows.

Perhaps it's a cost issue. I know that if you get an EZ glaze or something similar, it costs a decent amount extra for it, but it's actually well worth it. It blocks UV rays and protects not only the dash and furnishings, but you also.

Archived