LegacyGT.com

aftermarket sub install question?

sausageking73

I own a 05 LGT. I have an aftermarket amp and sub. Here is what I want o do. I want to keep/use my factory head unit and install my aftermarket amp and sub. Is this possible? do I need anything? line out converter box?

What do I need? Any posts or sites I can visit that have the "how to"? (wires to splice)

any help would be great!

Thanx!

Get a line out converter, some 8 gauge wire and a fuse for 18 inches from the battery, RCA Cable, Remote wire(Connect to Power socket wire), Also get a Forward and Reverse Adapters(Metra # 71-8901 and 70-8901)

Wiring Kit With 8 Guage Wire and RCA Cables and Fuse. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=711&i=142PA8&search=8+guage+wiring+kit&tp=2919

Metra 71-8901 http://www.installer-parts.com/by_item.php?it=71-8901

Metra 70-8901 http://www.installer-parts.com/by_item.php?it=70-8901

Line Out Converter

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=721&i=142SLC4&tp=1276&tab=other_items&viewAll=True

Is the Sub Already in a box? What kind of amp are you running?

The stuff listed above is a generic fit for most 1-2 sub systems. You will plus the 70-8901 harness into the cars plug, after you connect the 70-8901 and the line out converter to the front and rear channels. You will connect your amp VIA the RCA cables located in the kit to the rear channel of the line out converter. Run The power wire from the battery and 18 inches later put the fuse in wire it thru the fire wall. then run it and Blue remote turn on wire(Wired to either the Ignition wire of the 71-801 or the cigarette lighter wire) down one side of the car(I always the do drivers side for Power). Then run the RCA cable's for the Audio signal down the passenger side of the car and have them all meet up in the trunk. Find a bolt or factory screw and connect your ground cable that the kit comes with to it(Its only 3 feet long so its gotta be pretty close to where you want the amp to be.)

This is pretty much every thing you need to do to wire in the amp to run the sub. If you need help with the sub part let me know.

here is a short walkthru with pictures I found with a little google searching most of it is applicable

You don't happen to live in Colorado do you?

The stock Subaru radio heavily constrains the low end when turned up loud, unless you have a amplifier gain control in the cab and you don't mind fiddling with it constantly when you touch the volume then get some kind of intelligent converter with a DSP chip.

Is the Sub Already in a box? What kind of amp are you running?

The stuff listed above is a generic fit for most 1-2 sub systems. You will plus the 70-8901 harness into the cars plug, after you connect the 70-8901 and the line out converter to the front and rear channels. You will connect your amp VIA the RCA cables located in the kit to the rear channel of the line out converter. Run The power wire from the battery and 18 inches later put the fuse in wire it thru the fire wall. then run it and Blue remote turn on wire(Wired to either the Ignition wire of the 71-801 or the cigarette lighter wire) down one side of the car(I always the do drivers side for Power). Then run the RCA cable's for the Audio signal down the passenger side of the car and have them all meet up in the trunk. Find a bolt or factory screw and connect your ground cable that the kit comes with to it(Its only 3 feet long so its gotta be pretty close to where you want the amp to be.)

This is pretty much every thing you need to do to wire in the amp to run the sub. If you need help with the sub part let me know.

here is a short walkthru with pictures I found with a little google searching most of it is applicable

You don't happen to live in Colorado do you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 1 10" Pioneer sub in a non ported box. My amp is a JL Audio e4300.

I've added line out converters to some of my other cars before. I would add a t-tap to the factory HU speakers wires then connect those to the LO Converter .I think what throws me off w/ this style is the Metra connectors. Do I need them? How do I connect them. Are there empty connecters on the back of the factory HU these plug into?Any pictures of these installed?

No I live in Ohio. I have a bunch of friends that live there.

All the metra connectors are going to do is keep you from having to splice into the factory harness. If you are ok with hacking up the factory harness or taping into it, then you can go that route and be just fine. You will just need to tap the rear speaker lines so 4 taps total, and the switched ignition line for the remote wire so make that 5. I cant remember if the LOC requires power and ground or not. If you need wire colors I'm sure I can find them or you can search around on here.

The stock Subaru radio heavily constrains the low end when turned up loud, unless you have a amplifier gain control in the cab and you don't mind fiddling with it constantly when you touch the volume then get some kind of intelligent converter with a DSP chip.

When you say DSP chip - are you referring to processors like the RF 360.{1,2}, JL Cleansweep, Audiocontrol and Alpine OEM integration systems or some other (simpler?) device?

Digital Signal Processor, basically anything that alters the audio from its original form. Purpose being to intelligently correct or at least partially correct what the head unit does to the original signal (filter out the low end).

So in a round about way, yes :)

Archived