LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 2 weeks later...
I am still having problems with my NSS and reverse switch. What did you guys do to get the two to work on your Legacy? We wired teh 6MT switches in, worked for two tries in reverse, then stopped. So we pull the tranny and put in the siwtches from the 5MT...same thing. Any ideas?

My reverse is working fine.

But the neutral is... "reversed". When the trannt is in neutral ecu thinks is in in gear and vice versa. That killed cruise control (about which I don't care). Otherwise I thought it works fine... but it might be the (contributing?) source of the pulsating hesitation I was (still are) getting under light load:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2880867&postcount=296

Supposedly the switch from the 5MT fits (according to HAMMER DOWN), but per his original thread with some occasional glitches (CEL).

Yes you need to use the OEM natural safety switch,[NSS] out of the 5MT, for the cruise control to work. Like Unclemat said, "But the 6MT's neutral is... "reversed". When the tranny is in neutral ecu thinks is in in gear and vice versa." My occasional CEL, P0851 IMO is do that I still have the 6MT's NSS in the 6MT. But I wired in the 5MT NSS in between the 6MT's NSS & wire harness. The 6MT NSS is locatated on top by the tail shaft. I wanted to test it 1st, before I drop the 6MT part way down to install it in the case.Wiring in the 5MT's NSS and my cruise works. I still running the NSS's this way. Haven't got around to installing the 5MT's NSS in the 6MT's case yet. I use the 6MT's reverse switch with no problems.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

If you can intercept that wire you can re-reverse the signal with a single relay. Then there isn't a fitment issue.

Tell me how. It's not about "grounding" the wire, but the connection having certain resistance.

Yes you need to use the OEM natural safety switch,[NSS] out of the 5MT, for the cruise control to work. Like Unclemat said, "But the 6MT's neutral is... "reversed". When the tranny is in neutral ecu thinks is in in gear and vice versa." My occasional CEL, P0851 IMO is do that I still have the 6MT's NSS in the 6MT. But I wired in the 5MT NSS in between the 6MT's NSS & wire harness. The 6MT NSS is locatated on top by the tail shaft. I wanted to test it 1st, before I drop the 6MT part way down to install it in the case.Wiring in the 5MT's NSS and my cruise works. I still running the NSS's this way. Haven't got around to installing the 5MT's NSS in the 6MT's case yet. I use the 6MT's reverse switch with no problems.

Mike

I thought you actually replaced the 6MT switch with the 5MT switch in the tranny. Apparently not. So I am not sure what it is doing. Fooling the ecu that the car is in gear all the time? :confused:

^^^^ No, the 6MT NSS still interrupts the circuit. Sense I was the 1st to do the swap. Didn't know the 6MT's is the"reverse" of the 5MT NSS. Until I found out that the cruise control would only set in Neutral. So I collapse the 5MT NSS, wired it between the 6MT's NSS & wire harness it works good. I will try the 5MT NSS alone when get a chance in the next mo. or so. Just very busy.

Mike

Yes, 6MT NSS in the tranny & the 5MT NSS wired in outside the tranny.

[tranny{6mt, NSS}]======(5mt NSS)======<ECU>

Dose that help:lol::lol: Best I can do with the key boad:)

Mike

i have the 5mt nss in mine and it works fine.

That's great to hear :woowoo: Now I know that my occasional CEL, P0851 is do to having two NSS switches. Thanks groff,:)

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

• 2 weeks later...
I can confirm. I swaped the NSS and Reverse switch to the 5mt switches this weekend and no more NSS CEL. I also have reverse lights again and a dccd manual controller so I can lock the center diff and get my car re-tuned:) Thanks again for everyone's help with my 6mt swap.

I just found out that I killed my five speed after my TOB went bad. The car is about three hours away at a Subaru dealership. The total bill with a new five speed, clutch etc is $6000. That makes me want a 6speed even more than I did.

I have a wagon.I think I understand most of the swap. I have a good friend who is a Subaru mechanic. I have tracked down an 06 STI 6 speed w/ clutch.

Do I need an a/t driveshaft from a gt auto wagon?

Do I need A new STI master cylinder and shift fork or is this necessary.

Do I need a new crossmember?

Am I missing anything.

I really appreciate any help I could find with this.

Do I need an a/t driveshaft from a gt auto wagon?

DOn't know if a GT would work, you need an auto wagon driveshaft from any 4eat car. Mine came off of just a plain Outback 4eat.

Do I need A new STI master cylinder and shift fork or is this necessary.

No master cyclinder but you do need the slve cylinder. Yes to the STi shift fork

Do I need a new crossmember?

No but you do need a 6MT rear tranny mount.

You are missing a lot...keep reading this thread...all the parts you will need are in here.