LegacyGT.com

Will SOA make a 8 cylinder?

Long?!

An H8 wouldn't really be any longer than a V8 ... it's just how you package it.

I think the stat on the H6 vs the H4 is the H6 is a whopping 1 inch longer than the H4. It's just an issue of displacement and packaging.

It could be done. Put the accesories on the back of the engine and push engine back into the firewall. Also, make a more compact tranny and Voila!

If you put the accessories on the back of engine, it would probably better to run off electric. Therefore, I would intergrate the alternator in the flywheel. Also, would have the benefit of easily making the vehicle into a mild hybrid.

It wouldn't sit too much foward if you did the above suggestions.

Although it would be a nightmare to work on.

The fact that the half shafts have to come out of the front of the transmission, the flywheel has to be in front of that, and the whole engine hangs off the front of the car, so to speak. The front half shafts can angle forward a bit, but there is only so much...

two cylinders long, or three is one thing, but four is getting a bit long... then you are getting into V8 S4 understeer pushing territory.

To put the engine on the front axle line, or behind it, Subaru would have to go with a different trans, with a forward aimed driveshaft, and a separate off-side front differential... A lot more parts, and not a symmetrical side-to-side layout...

If you want to tow 5000lbs... you probably want something with more robust brakes and a stouter drivetrain and chassis. Like a truck.

Now, a Mid engined application of a flat eight, ten or twelve cylinder subaru motor are quite exciting. Dry sump, with the third driveshaft turned forward under the engine, to the front wheels... Then we're talking.

But Subaru won't even go near the Prodrive P2, I doubt there is a chance this side of hell for a mid engined supercar from Subaru.

If you like the feel of an Audi with the nose waging the dog and the the dog barely able to hold his head up, you would love an H8 sitting over the front axle.

Even before $3+ gas, the torque generated from the little H4 Suby Turbo set low and behind the front axle was so beautiful, so perfect, so breaking the rules by finding a way to better the rules. V10, H10, VH8, go shop for big iron. If Subaru still has ZEN, it's in the magic of the small H4/6.

Yes grasshopper, you are my teacher :icon_wink

If you like the feel of an Audi with the nose waging the dog and the the dog barely able to hold his head up, you would love an H8 sitting over the front axle.

Even before $3+ gas, the torque generated from the little H4 Suby Turbo set low and behind the front axle was so beautiful, so perfect, so breaking the rules by finding a way to better the rules. V10, H10, VH8, go shop for big iron. If Subaru still has ZEN, it's in the magic of the small H4/6.

Yes grasshopper, you are my teacher :icon_wink

+1 for that but I still love the sound of a small V12. It is so -----unreal

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Direct injection= overrated... The reason why alot of DI cars are "lagless" is because the accompanying turbo that goes with the car is smaller than a hamsters penis.

Not Direct injection...

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5441770198523797408&q=renault+f1]Renault F1[/ame]

The problem with DI is that fuel can only be injected in a small fraction of the engine cycle. As revs and fuel demand goes up you will require expotentially larger injectors and fuel pumps.

In a port injection scheme fuel can be injected at all times.

The fact that the half shafts have to come out of the front of the transmission, the flywheel has to be in front of that, and the whole engine hangs off the front of the car, so to speak. The front half shafts can angle forward a bit, but there is only so much...

two cylinders long, or three is one thing, but four is getting a bit long... then you are getting into V8 S4 understeer pushing territory.

To put the engine on the front axle line, or behind it, Subaru would have to go with a different trans, with a forward aimed driveshaft, and a separate off-side front differential... A lot more parts, and not a symmetrical side-to-side layout...

If you want to tow 5000lbs... you probably want something with more robust brakes and a stouter drivetrain and chassis. Like a truck.

Now, a Mid engined application of a flat eight, ten or twelve cylinder subaru motor are quite exciting. Dry sump, with the third driveshaft turned forward under the engine, to the front wheels... Then we're talking.

But Subaru won't even go near the Prodrive P2, I doubt there is a chance this side of hell for a mid engined supercar from Subaru.

Why would Subaru not be interested? Not their image?

Archived