LegacyGT.com

Budget NA EJ25D Build. Thoughts?

Hey guys. Back when I did my 5MT swap I pulled another EJ25D while I was at it. I just got the whole block cracked yesterday and everything is in alright condition. Looks like highway miles with oil changes a little late. Anyway, what I want with this motor is 200+ WHP using the stock block and heads. I also want it to be reliable and to run on 91 octane. I wanted to do E85 but recently some local shops started testing the pump E85 and it turned out to only be E70. I can't risk that variability in the fuel and I'm not gonna test it every time before I fill up.

So what I'm wondering is, how doable is this? Are there any threads on making 200 WHP with the stock EJ25D block and heads?

Possible? Maybe. Cost effective? No.

I have run a few N/A motor variations here. I have had a 25D with 22E heads with cams, EL header, 2.25 catless, exhaust, grimmspeed manifold spacers, LW flywheel. While it is a fun motor it's not "fast" it's quick and responsive. Maybe 120-140whp depending on climate.

Currently I am running a 251 with 25D DOHC heads on stock cams. But with the previous mods listed before as well. Also a fun motor with better mid-range and top end. Probably makes about the same WHP numbers but shifted higher into the power range.

Your best bet on 200whp is an EG33 swap with some bolt ons or...a turbo swap. Keep in mine a 2.0L WRX only makes ~170ish whp.

I love my N/A frankenmotors. They both have had good power. The EJ25D with the 22 heads had GREAT low end torque and the EJ251/25D head combo has good mid-top end, still with good low end power.

I drive my brothers 93 Leggy SS with a 22T and a TD04 @12 psi with a JDM 4.11 transmission and I am never dissapointed when I get back into my car. Is his faster? Yeah no doubt.

Archived