LegacyGT.com

ap 1 or 2

ChefRacer

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if an ap1 would work for my goals. I have an 05 LGT wagon 5mt, and I'm planning on doing an up pipe, dp, 20g turbo, exhaust cutout, and racer x fmic. Now I know that I'm going to need tuning software for this setup, and I want to be able to switch maps on the fly for having the cutout open and shut. Can the ap1 do this, or would I have to wait 5-10 min for the map to upload. I'm also thinking of doing alcohol injection w the cutout open and running high boost open, w low boost when its shut to save on gas. What do you guys think? Thanks for you help.

Josh

With both you could switch real time maps on the fly. Go for the V2 as it's got tuning software with it and still is supported by cobb. I've got the v1 with additional streettuner advanced software but that could be pretty tough to acquire nowadays and no longer with support or updates from cobb.

I'd go for a V2 anyways, especially for it's datalogging and live data features.

Unless you plan on only opening the cutout for drag racing at a track, I wouldn't suggest different maps for open/closed. I say this because:

1. It still takes a few minutes to change a realtime map, and the engine needs to be off for this.

2. Driving with the cutout open (if it's in the DP, the only place it would be effective) is INCREDIBLY loud. I wouldn't recommend it for prolonged street use. Hell, I wouldn't even run it open on a road or autocross course unless you wear earplugs and there are no track noise rules.

IMHO, until there's an instant, on-the-fly MAP changing device, it's best to just tune for the cutout open. You'll see slower spool and lower boost with it closed, even running the same MAP.

So, I'm still wondering what to do about the alcohol injection. Mind you this is all still in the preliminary stages, but I've learned from other turbo cars that I've owned that its always best to research everything thoroughly before investing into the project. Now I would really like to run the alcohol solely when the cutout is open, so therefore running higher boost/timing and therefore necessitating a much different fuel trim to go with this. I'm kinda thinking that if I have a dual stage boost controller in place as a safety measure, I can set the boost level to say 19 psi, which will drop to 16-17 with the cutout closed and when the alcohol injection is off, then I can open the cutout with the same tune on the ap and still only max out at 19 psi which should be fine on pump gas as far as I've learned so far. Then I can have a separate map for the alcohol injection, high boost, advanced timing, and of course open cutout, and have the boost controller set to say 23 psi in order to maintain a constant boost level and prevent overboosting due to the open exhaust.

Please let me know if my thought process is faulty here, I'm really looking for a reliable low 12 sec daily driver here, so I'm trying to do everying as safely as possible. I'm aware that I'll need a fuel system that can handle this, but I'm not quite clear as to what size injectors I'll need to maintain about 400 whp. I think it's prolly somewhere around 850 ccs. I've thought about E85 as an alternative to alcohol injection, except there is only one gas station in Philadelphia that has E85, and not only is it a 20 min drive away, but this is my family car and I want to be able to run on regular gas even if I have to keep an extra gallon of alcohol in the back in case I run low. Welll I'm rambling now so I'm gonna cut this short. Thanks for your advice everybody.

I'm still rocking my Cobb AP Version 1, and it works fine if you want to load a map and then never mess with it again for months / years.

But it's totally old-school compared to the much nicer AP V2.:lol:

Archived