LegacyGT.com

5EAT powerbraking according to owners manual

page 7-25

"Do not race the engine for more than five seconds in any position except the "N" or "P" position when the brake is set or when wheels are used blocks. This may cause the automatic transmission fluid to overheat."

So conversely, racing the engine in "D" with the brake set for less than 5 seconds would not overheat the ATF and be fine. :D

On a side note, (insert japanese accent) 'when wheers are used brocks' WTF? :lol:

This is called a CYA in the industry.. When you powerbreak, you are causing an extreme amount of shearing force in the torque converter. This will cause the ATF to heat up very rapidly. There are really too many factors to determine exactly how long you can do this for, but it sounds like 5 seconds is the conservative figure.

Keep in mind that not only are you causing the fluid to heat up, but also breaking down the fluid. This will shorten the life of the ATF and require more frequent changes to avoid problems. ATF is really quite amazing fluid when you think about all that it has to do in an automatic transmission. Transmissions are also very picky about the ATF, as the additive package can have an amazing impact on the performance of the transmission since the fluid is so critical to the operation.

page 7-25

"Do not race the engine for more than five seconds in any position except the "N" or "P" position when the brake is set or when wheels are used blocks. This may cause the automatic transmission fluid to overheat."

So conversely, racing the engine in "D" with the brake set for less than 5 seconds would not overheat the ATF and be fine. :D

On a side note, (insert japanese accent) 'when wheers are used brocks' WTF? :lol:

You shoulda bought a manual.

eh what does the book know about our cars. the people that wrote that have no clue.

most of the time that your powerbraking is at the strip or backstreet mod trials, most of the time its not over 5 secs. although i wouldnt suggest doing it over and over.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

ive only done a few powerbrakes on the street, mainly just to open the car up and feel the power. last time i was at the track i did 9 passes. so id say ive done about 15 powerbrakes.

only noticeable thing is that the car stinks of clutch a lot now.

My Garage

ive only done a few powerbrakes on the street, mainly just to open the car up and feel the power. last time i was at the track i did 9 passes. so id say ive done about 15 powerbrakes.

only noticeable thing is that the car stinks of clutch a lot now.

Where is the clutch smell coming from ? You don't have one !

Possibly burnt ATF ?

actually, auto trannys do have clutchs inside the actual transmission. i say it smells like burnt clutch cus thats what it smells like i know 5eats dont have an actual clutch flywheel package. cant really pin point the smell, but i definately get the smell quite frequently, and it smells exactly like the MT clutch smell.

My Garage

When I powerbrake to get to 3700 rpms it takes a good 2-3 seconds and you are off. 5 is a lot of time I think

Thats sweet the Camaro with the 4400 stall dont even get that. I leave at around 3300. Any higher and the tires start to break I guess thats the sweet thing about the AWD. You get four tires to hold back instead of two.

Archived