LegacyGT.com

Let's talk..... Snow Tires

legomaroon

Who's got what, and why and what do you like about them? I had altimax's on my Volvo, and they did the job but were not the best. I drive in a range of conditions in the winter (I live in Franconia NH for most of the winter/ spring season) Anywhere from deep powder to slush.

I have my eye on the Bridgestone Blizzak, any thoughts?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Blizzaks are great! I Have also used the Yokohama WDrives as well. They are a good snow tire as well. I'd say a 8/10 and the Blizzaks being a 9/10-10/10 depending on which model you get. Thats all just my own opinion though.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

Search the forums for Blizzak, there has been some really great conversation on it here. I know I've posted in a couple of them, here's the condensed version:

Bizzak WS60 = beast in beastly conditions. Which is cool, except when you don't have beastly conditions to wade through. Then it's just a big, squishy winter tire.

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 = beast on cold pavement and light snow. If you live somewhere that knows how to clear snow off the highway, this is what you'll spend the majority of your time driving on. I won't go back to the Blizzak's. Not because there's anything wrong with them, but because I can't REALLY use them more than 5-10 times a year. The rest of the time is on plowed roads or fairly shallow snow. With the PA3's I can still murder cloverleafs in 20* weather...

I really liked my conti extremewintercontact tires I got this year. Great feel on dry/wet and excellent grip on ice and snow. I commute through western NY backroads, never had any concerns while driving through 1'+ of wet lake effect snow.

I had Cooper weathermasters on my wife's Outback. They were good in deep snow, but overall my contis were head and shoulder above them IMHO.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

There are many flavours of Blizzaks (at least two: WS and LM), which one in particular are you thinking about?

Krzys

The WS. It gets nasty quite frequently, and where I live is, lets just say not exactly on the map for plowing. Add into the equation a mile and a half, probably 10- 20 % grade hill I get to descend and climb at least twice a day, and I have the need for beastly snow tires that can handle anything from slush to 3 or 4 feet of snow.

I have officially quit being stuck in the snow. Even thinking about a small 4000 lb winch if things get really nasty.

WS60's have silly grip... for the first season, MAYBE two. They're stunning in gnarly conditions when they work. After season or two the outer layer with the micro whats-a-whosit's and magic sipes wears off, then they're crap. If you're a no-compromise guy willing to replace them every season or two and living in an area were roads truly are severe more often than not, I'd say go for it.

What didn't you like about them?

They were lacking in conditions other than perfect snow, and only about up to a foot of it. Pass the 12 " mark and they floundered- bad. Slush, terrible, but surprisingly, mud, they were awesome.

Also I guess I should keep in mind that I only had FWD on my voo-voo. The tires sure were cheap enough though, I managed to harang them for 360 installed and balanced.

I really like my General Altimax Artic's. Last winter was miserable and I never got stuck even with my 2wd Ford Fusion which became 1wd on anything slippery. I live on long steep winding hill and came close to getting stuck but never actually did. Car sucked in the snow and rain with the coilovers on it, but the tires got the job done. This year I will run All Season's but hope to try Artic's on the subaru eventually. Should be awesome.

Matter of fact, I sold the General's after 3 season and they still had a fair amount of tread left. Great tire. Quiet, good ride, great turn in, hard to believe they were snow's sometimes. Got a little squirmy under hard braking on dry pavement but that's too be expected.

Talk snow tires this time of year? Hell no!

The best time to buy is actually in the next couple of months when most of them should be in stock and you'll have your greatest selection.

I'll most likely be going with the Michelin X-Ice2 or the Blizzak WS70. The WS60s that I had before served me well for the past 3 seasons.

our winter seasons last for practically 6-7 months up here with temps into -20F and plenty of snow. i can say that the blizzak WS series is phenomenal and never let me down. the biggest factor in the performance of this tire is not the handling but the superior stopping distance it offers which gives me a lot of confidence in it. though to some degree i might agree that is overkill if you live in an urban/suburban area that plows frequently. but i make numerous trips into the mountains in the winter time and coupled with subaru AWD, it's a great combo.

our winter seasons last for practically 6-7 months up here with temps into -20F and plenty of snow. i can say that the blizzak WS series is phenomenal and never let me down. the biggest factor in the performance of this tire is not the handling but the superior stopping distance it offers which gives me a lot of confidence in it. though to some degree i might agree that is overkill if you live in an urban/suburban area that plows frequently. but i make numerous trips into the mountains in the winter time and coupled with subaru AWD, it's a great combo.

Sounds like you are in the same range of temps, snow, and driving conditions that I deal with. I keep hearing good things about the blizzaks, maybe I give them a try.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

That was my understanding (LM-25->LM-60).

However Bridgestone LM series never get that well rated compared to others (Continental TS 810 and 830, Dunlop 3D, Goodyear that happens to not be available in NA - Ultra Grip 7).

Krzys

When I had my WRX I had a set of Blizzak LM-25's which i LOVED. they were awesome in the snow and ice it sucks that Bridgestone doesnt make them anymore

+1

I bought up a few sets because they were the best snow tires I have ever had !

Dunlop 3d's = Amazing! Used for first season last winter, tread looks un-touched after approx 4k miles. Tires pull like champs through thick slush, hard pack, and ice. best part... amazing streatability during dry/ warmer winter days!

Archived