LegacyGT.com

Do splash guards keep your car cleaner???

Noel

I was curious if anyone has noticed a significant before and after difference of how clean the sides and rear of the car remained between washes. I know on my old Audi the sides of the car would stay cleaner with splash gaurds, but they were significantly larger than the Subaru version.

THanks,

Noel

Are the OEM USDM black vinyl ones paintable? I found some for about $100 for all 4 pices (dealer wanted $90+ for front OR rears, so this is about 50% off :D) and thinking about getting painting them to match the body color.
In Taiwan now...:spin:

Depends where you live. Here in Seattle where it rains all the time most of the spray on your car is from other cars, not your own. So I haven't found mudflaps to be useful (in keeping the side of your car cleaner). Maybe in areas where it doesn't rain as much it would be more useful.

tom :)

They are useless on the XT, I'm assuming due to the ride height. More then half the tire is below the guard. Here in Flag they use cinder (crushed volcanic rock) on the roads during the winter and from the middle of the front doors back I've got some nice rock dings. Also from the front mud guard back to about the rear door you get a nice accumulation of road grime that creeps halfway up the door.

I think they helped when I installed them. Its not going to keep everything off but they do work. They also make them in body color from JDM.

Moved to exterior :)

Where do we get the JDM body colored splash guards for less price.

From the looks of mine, they do "help", and I would recommend them. As others have stated, they aren't the best, but they look decent and keep some rocks, tar & dirt off of your paint.

leg2.JPG.c9abb184f77479dee1e93594f7f09794.JPG

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Noticeable improvement.

What makes them useful at all on our cars isn't the amount they hang down, but the amount they stick out. They do a decent job of covering the bend towards the lower third of the car that exposes tire tread (and whatever is being kicked up) to the rocker panels, lower half of the door panels, and bottom of rear bumper.

Treat yourself and spend the extra $$ on the color matched JDM splash guards. Look here: http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=6&middle=2&small=8 and then navigate to page 4 for the 'splash board set'. Fronts were tougher to install than the rear, but the whole process should take like an hour.

Definitely worth it to me.

Archived