LegacyGT.com

Anyone used this for ALcantara?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have much helpful info to add. I just wanted to say I haven't used anything specifically meant for alcantera, but I've also never really had a problem cleaning it. There are some stains that are simply going to ruin the material, so if you have that spilled on the seat then you are screwed. Certain oils, for example, will permanently stain alcantara and you aren't getting it out with anything. Spill a tub of buttery dipping sauce and you'll see the stain forever.

However, with that being said I haven't always just stuck with warm water and a brush to clean it. When I've come up against a mark that warm water doesn't fix, I've been known to bust out some Wolfgang Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner and that has always done the job fine. I don't break out that product unless the stain is either really stubborn but I know it can come out, or if it is on material like this and I don't know that I trust something like Tuff Stuff to not ruin it. Anyway, it has always worked like a champ on the seats in the STi Subies I maintain, so it may be worth looking into as well. That way you have something that isn't just for alcantera only and could be used on other areas that may get stained. Just a thought.

Either way you go, let us know what works best. If you get this product specifically for Alcantera, please let us know how it worked. I've never really looked into anything dedicated for that material, but it would be interesting to know if it really does work better. For the price I would certainly hope it does.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I ended up using adam's carpet/upholstery with horsehair brush. Didn't really have any discoloration or stains but it brought the texture and color back a little. Did just a gentle sweep. Next time I will just try warm water with few drops of lemon juice

The biggest thing when dealing with marks on material like Alcantera, or even just on the headliner, is not to scrub it around too much. That typically just spreads the stain out. So a gentle sweep, like you did, is the way to go. Sometimes even better is to apply the cleaner and then just blot it back up with a dry towel. Rubbing and scrubbing isn't always the best way to go. If you think about how a carpet extractor works it is just boiling hot water and a vacuum. Loosen up whatever is causing the stain from the fibers of the material and then use a high suction vacuum to pull it out without spreading it around to other areas. Definitely something to consider when dealing with a stain like grease or something you know is going to spread.

So anyway, yeah... gentle is the key. I'm glad it came out without needing to spend 20 bucks on a new product.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived