LegacyGT.com

hatch release handle sticking

The hatch release handle on my 2005 LGT began sticking a few months ago, likely due to rust buildup around the handle's hinges (a well-documented problem with Subaru's). Although the hatch itself continued to latch shut and lock, the handle wasn't fully retracting. This caused the 'open door' warning light in the dash to remain on at times, and on two occasions (both at 4 am!) it spontaneously triggered the alarm.

I've since disabled the alarm and lubricated the handle's hinges with WD40 (which solved the problem temporarily), but I need to get better access to the handle mechanism to properly clean and lubricate it. Removing the interior panel from the hatch provided full access to the latch mechanism and cable (all in perfect condition), but I still can't access the handle itself.

It looks like I may need to remove a piece of exterior trim from the hatch in order to access the handle (see circle in image). Does anyone know if that's the case? If so, any tips for removing that piece?

Thanks in advance!

hatch.jpg.c88c31a21d5d553931be652ea11998dd.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue, that is, the door open warning light is on showing the rear gate. I believe last week it triggered the alarm system on 2 occasions. I am not seeing anything wrong the rear gate handle, it seems to operate normally and there is no obstruction whatsoever with the latch.

I am taking the car to the dealer within the next 2 weeks for an oil change and will ask them to troubleshoot this. I am affraid they will simply reset it and ignore the problem.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

This sounds like a similar problem to mine. I posted the same question on a Subaru Outback forum and had several very helpful replies from one of the members there. You can read the whole conversation here.

We narrowed it down to a very unlikely cause, although I was never able to actually fix it. After spending hours trying to diagnose and fix the problem, I finally gave up and simply left the sensor wire within the hatch disconnected. The only downside is that my hatch roof light doesn't come on automatically when I open the hatch. Not a big deal.

I will be curious to know what you discover about your own issue, and also what the dealer says. My guess is that they will want to replace the entire mechanism and charge you $200-300 including labour.

The open door warning light is now gone. Weird. Not sure I will ask the dealer to troubleshoot but will inquire to the tech lead as to whether he's heard about this.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Hopefully it was just a fluke and your problem is gone for good. Mine was intermittent at first though... At the start I could turn it off by slamming the hatch shut again. After a few weeks of that (and two middle of the night alarm activations!), it stayed on regardless of how I shut the hatch.

Archived