LegacyGT.com

ER HC Message

Hi all, long time follower first time poster so here we go;

Drove to the gas station and went inside. After coming back out got in the car and tried to start it. Starter kicked in for 1/4 second or so then nothing. ER HC came a crossed the trip display, temp gauge showed HOT and nothing from the starter afterwards. Popped hood and checked radiator and it was ice cold (about a 2 minute drive to the gas station) No check engine light. Tried to pull key codes and no DTC's stored in the ECU. Disconnected battery and reconnected and same thing. Had a friend tow it to my house for the night and disconnected the battery overnight. Reconnected this morning and same things. Pulled the BIU plug apart and nothing. Disconnected the ecu and reconnected and nothing. Put a jump start on the car and nothing. Tighted up all grounds under the hood and nothing. Manually jumped the starter just to see if it was crank; it has plenty of power, my screw driver told me so :)... Nothing. Im now going on 24hrs of near continuous work and....... nothing.

I'm literally at the end of my rope and the nearest Subaru dealership is 60 miles south of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have this posted in the NA forum but it does not seem to the traffic that this one does.

Yes I saw that post as well. I ended up having it towed to our nearest dealer (60 miles south) and they found that a fuse in the ECU was blown as well as the starter fuse. They replaced and had it running 5 minutes then it blew the ECU fuse again. Traced it to a wire under the intake manifold that needs replacement. Currently at $450 in diagnostic and either $200 to replace the wire or $475 to replace the entire harness...

FWIW, if they are going to remove the intake manifold to fix the wire, make sure they install the new orange o-rings ont he manifold to TGV's.

Also zip tie all the vacuum lines.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

$684.00 later the car is back. They replaced the SBF #7 fuse 2x the starter fuse 1x and cut, resoldered, heatshrink and rewrapped 3 wires under the intake manifold that had rubbed on the block on the passenger side.

Parts cost... $33.00

Shop fee... $15.00

Obtaining my imobilizer code... $5.00

New Intake manifold gasket $8.88

Labor... $$$.$$

If this information had been posted on the internet anywhere it could have saved me some major hassle so I'm going to pay it forward so if it does pop up again maybe someone will not have to go down the same road I did.

Archived