LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Brake problems......

Perrin713

So, other than my brakes on my car giving me issues the car rocks! Have had it for a few years now but just the other day I got a new brake noise. When I apply my foot to the brake a crunching sound comes from only the front right side when I come to a slow stop. If I apply the brake hard it goes away. When its cold out the noise isnt there until the brakes heat up. When it rains there is no noise. The dealer said to lube everything. I did, then the noise came back. I believe its just the brake pads? they are only about a year old with maybe 8k miles on them with plenty of wear left. Any clue whats wrong?

They are probably similar to the stock pads in compound. When I ran stock pads, I had the same noise. It's kind of like a grinding/crunching noise when slowing to a stop. I think the floating caliper design causes some weird noises sometimes during slow speed braking. I'd say it's just the pads but see if it gets any worse or goes away.

• 4 months later...

I believe I've been having the same problem. I get the grinding/crunching noise, but it usually happens when I press the brake a little harder than usual right before the car stops. This seems to be getting worse. I also get a squealing from my brakes on a regular basis that is also getting worse.

I also occasionally get a loud noise that sounds like a metal plate being dragged across the driveway, but usually only in reverse. I believe this may be a rock stuck in my brakes, but I'm not sold this is it. I can't pinpoint any particular time when it decides to make this noise. It's usually once every 2/3 weeks.

Does anyone else have any ideas of what all of this may be? Am I just having bad luck with my brakes in that they make noise but nothing is really wrong? The dealer says my brake pads are in great shape, but I feel they may have run me around in the past.

So, other than my brakes on my car giving me issues the car rocks! Have had it for a few years now but just the other day I got a new brake noise. When I apply my foot to the brake a crunching sound comes from only the front right side when I come to a slow stop. If I apply the brake hard it goes away. When its cold out the noise isnt there until the brakes heat up. When it rains there is no noise. The dealer said to lube everything. I did, then the noise came back. I believe its just the brake pads? they are only about a year old with maybe 8k miles on them with plenty of wear left. Any clue whats wrong?

Could be a stuck slider (although you said you lubed them up), could also be the duralast compound is getting embedded in the now larger microcracks that all rotors have and is causing the pad material to transfer at a higher rate. You may be able to fix it by getting them nice and hot and re-bedding them in (60-5 repeated about 10-15 times, then let cool for 20-30minutes or overnight)

-mike

I believe I've been having the same problem. I get the grinding/crunching noise, but it usually happens when I press the brake a little harder than usual right before the car stops. This seems to be getting worse. I also get a squealing from my brakes on a regular basis that is also getting worse.

I also occasionally get a loud noise that sounds like a metal plate being dragged across the driveway, but usually only in reverse. I believe this may be a rock stuck in my brakes, but I'm not sold this is it. I can't pinpoint any particular time when it decides to make this noise. It's usually once every 2/3 weeks.

Does anyone else have any ideas of what all of this may be? Am I just having bad luck with my brakes in that they make noise but nothing is really wrong? The dealer says my brake pads are in great shape, but I feel they may have run me around in the past.

Without seeing or hearing the noise it's a little hard to diagnose but it's viable that it's stones getting kicked up.

-mike

• 1 year later...
16 month bump...Noticed exact same thing on my '05 just in the past few days. Front passenger side crunching when brake is pressed hard and coming to a stop. Duralast pads as well! Dealership said brakes were good about a month ago during oil change.

I have a slightly different problem with some on the same symptoms on my 05 LGT. When the car is cold or has been sitting for a little while, the brakes squeak just when pressure is first applied and don't squeak during braking. Sometimes it's really, really loud but the odd thing is after a few brakings (2-5) it goes away and is fine. I don't know if this is related but when I brake from high speeds my pedal vibrates a little. Bear in mind this noise only comes from the front and is usually on the front right side. Asside from all this braking is sharp and strong and no grinding. Are my pads or rotors done? The rotors look good, almost new and the pads look like they have alot of life left in them.

How you like your hawks?

They're alright. Slight improvement over OEM, but nothing to go crazy about. They're quiet and gets the job done for a daily driver.

I have a slightly different problem with some on the same symptoms on my 05 LGT. When the car is cold or has been sitting for a little while, the brakes squeak just when pressure is first applied and don't squeak during braking. Sometimes it's really, really loud but the odd thing is after a few brakings (2-5) it goes away and is fine. I don't know if this is related but when I brake from high speeds my pedal vibrates a little. Bear in mind this noise only comes from the front and is usually on the front right side. Asside from all this braking is sharp and strong and no grinding. Are my pads or rotors done? The rotors look good, almost new and the pads look like they have alot of life left in them.

If the pads and rotors are in like new condition, the only other thing I can think of causing the vibration are deposits left by the brake pad. In this case you'll need to do a bed-in process, which goes something like this:

1. Make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.

2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.

3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!

4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.

5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

Of course, you'll have to find a stretch of road with little/no traffic to do this.

• 1 year later...

Tremendous bump.

Also an 05LGT and mine while driving, I'll hear the car just squealing and then when you place your foot on the brake lightly, it shreaks like it has worn pads/rotors. Front passenger side as well. My assumption is worn pads and rotors and it squeals while driving because of contamination? Any clues? I am thinking of replacing the pads and rotors...suggestions? I have been eyeing the Duralast ones because I am in a budget. Help?

Archived