LegacyGT.com

Wagon Sunroof -- why you like it

I know there have been some threads on this but wanted to ask why and how much you enjoy/use the wagon's sunroof.

I'm debating about whether to trade/sell my LGT wagon for a LGT limited if I can get a good enough deal. Am I crazy? Just love that giant moon roof on the wagon. Is it a fad that will fade in a few months?:confused:

Sincerely,

"Never had a sun/moon roof" guy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Drive one- you might change your mind- I don't like that the front flips up instead of slides back.

I use mine all the time! Wouldn't buy a car without one. Road noise can be an issue at highway speeds, but it isn't any worse/better than any other car I have had.

Don't forget you have infinite control when opening. Here is what I mean...

1. One click back = Vent

2. Two clicks back = Opens all the way.

3. If you do 2 clicks back and then one click forward as it is opening (before it is fully open and stops), you can then do one click forward and the sunroof will stop opening. This will allow you to open it to any amount.

-S

I hadn't had a sunroof since my 87 CRX (if you don't count the Miata, which is all sunroof). It's been cold in Nevada, so I've only had the slider open once or twice. But I have the shade back all the way pretty much night and day except for times I'm parked for a long period in direct sunlight. I have not had the problem some people describe of the slide moving backwards under acceleration...on the other hand, mine's almost always back.

One comment: The sunroof is so positioned that is it not really over the driver's head, but behind the driver. A friend suggests that this is so the sun doesn't get in the driver's eyes, but I think it 's just to strengthen the stretcher between the A pillars. I'd prefer the opening a bit farther forward, but that would also make the windshield stand up and be less aerodynamic.

All-in-all:

a) like the size

b) like that it's glass (the CRX's was solid -- a true "sunroof" rather than a "moonroof")

c) positioned a wee bit too far behind the driver's head for my taste

d) it is noisy with just the vent open at freeway speeds (no radio listening -- but then, I can't listen to the radio in the Miata at the best of times)

e) plan to get a baseball cap and a cap clip. The cap keeps the sun from reflecting in the backs of your sunglasses, and the clip keeps the cap from becoming more freeway trash.

I intentionally avoided the sunroof... I rarely have a bare roof rack - if it's not my ski box it's a bike or two and a kayak or two or a canoe or a sailboard. That, and I have a friend with a 2002 OB whose sunroof is stuck closed and they want over $1000 to fix it! I took one look at that big, beatiful sunroof and immediately saw a $1000 slip of a bike fork and looked back at the non-limited. No regrets.

One comment: The sunroof is so positioned that is it not really over the driver's head, but behind the driver. A friend suggests that this is so the sun doesn't get in the driver's eyes, but I think it 's just to strengthen the stretcher between the A pillars. I'd prefer the opening a bit farther forward, but that would also make the windshield stand up and be less aerodynamic.

You must sit very forward and upright!!!

In my case the moonroof start well in front of my head.

I'm 5'9". I find that with the manual, the seat has to be forward more so that the clutch can go down fully. If I had an AT, I'm sure I'd be back farther. The front edge of the opening seems to be about 2" in front of my eyes -- so most of the sunroof is behind me.

At one point in my travels, I was considering a Honda Element. And THAT sun roof is in the back seat!

the sunroof in the legacy wagon is probably as close to a convertable as your going to get in my opinion. I would much rather open my sunroof than my side windows in most city driving and I think that the sunshine and fresh air makes spirited driving that much more fun.. Just short of an actual convertable to me.

Personally I like my sunroof. I like just being able to tip the front part up by itself as well as being able to open the remainder of the roof to almost any position. I have had numerous cars with sunroofs. I think that you must be willing to accept the fact that they are going to be noisy, especially at highway speeds. All the cars I've had with sunroofs have been noisy when open but if you want the feel of open air motoring it is the price you have to pay.

Is it a fad that will fade in a few months?:confused:

"Never had a sun/moon roof" guy

My LGT wagon is the first car I've had a sunroof in a long time. The last car I had a sunroof was a 1986 Accord LXi. I had forgotten just how nice it is to be able to drive in the early morning or evening hours with just the giant sunroof open enjoying the cool air with the side windows rolled up. And no, it's not a novelty that just wears off -- I find myself using it more and more.

I just love how the front part of the sunroof flips up to act as a deflector. It makes all the difference. My only gripe -- I wish that it had a one-touch close feature.

Is it worth trading in for? Only you can answer that, but think of it this way -- the huge Ltd wagon sunroof is one feature you won't find in any of the competing models, nor is there an aftermarket option that gets close to the OE in terms of size and functionality.

had my sedan for 8 months, opened it twice.

No surprise there -- the sedan sunroof is probably about 1/2 the size of the wagon's.

Ken

had my sedan for 8 months, opened it twice.

i guess it's good for getting the fart smell out.

HAHAHA! :lol:

Just one fact to point out, though. 7 of the last 8 months have been COLD!!!

I am just saying that sunroof usage in the last 8 months may not be indicative of sunroof useage for the next 5.

Just thought I would point that out.

I love my SuperSize moon roof...

There is no roof on any wagon that I know of that compares ...

In the summer it is a great way to enjoy the heat but still have the AC on and not get to hot.

I would always get one given the choice again.

Parousia

Like everybody else, I like it for the light it lets through. The wagon sunroof is so huge. I found non-Limited wagon very dark inside compared to the Limited with the shade or sunroof opened.

Unfortunately, this sunroof is too noisy for highway usage. My previous Honda Prelude 2001, with a very efficient wind deflector, made much less noise.

The problem with the Legacy sunroof is that there is no true wind deflector on it. The front part which lifts up does not deflect wind a lot, unless you keep it at the first click position (where it is only lifted a bit and the main window remains closed). Otherwise, as soon as the main window open, LOTS of noise inside the cabin on the highway. For city driving, it's perfectly fine though.

As long as snow or rain isn't coming in, my sunroof is at least always cracked open. Also, I don't think I've ever closed the cover except to park in the hot sun.

I LOVE my sun/moon roof. I will never grow tired of it!

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

the '05 wagon roof is "like butta!!" i'm not a wagaon person, but that moonroof alone might change my mind!

if i had one i'd have it open all the time, as i do in my car now. wind noise be damned, it's just something about the sun shining down on you while cruising to run errands, or just crusing to cruise. i run my sunroof open on the expressway at 90mph..i crank the radio up to like level 18 and i hear just enough to get the song. like someone said earlier..it's not a novelty that wears off, it's just a feeling you have. and what a great feeling it is!!

Kenda

I think it all depends on the individual. I have a moonroof in my current car (94' toyota camry)

It is decently big (not LGT Wagon big) but bigger then moonroofs in competitors cars. (Ill have to measure it tonight).

Over all I like it, but don't user it that often. I find during the day, it just gets the sun in my eyes (it is also positioned right over my head, so placement is part of it).

I find I really only use it at night, and mostly on the highway. In my car the moonroof is not too loud, (and I have a nice stereo, so it can easily overpower other noise).

For me the decision comes down to the fact that I don't like leather, and am only so-so on the moonroof. So my legacy will probably be a non-Limited model.

-Nick

Archived