LegacyGT.com

quirky starting problems- car doesn't start at first key turn

Wow, I wonder if I'm ever going to stop posting troubleshooting threads and actually start participating here... anyway... my car sat for a couple weeks as I describe in this thread, battery was dead. Replaced that and the car starts now but only when it wants to. Sometimes it will turn over right away, most of the time it will take a while with the key in "ON" to want to spark.

When it won't start and I turn the key, my clock and radio goes out, that's it. Had battery and alternator tested, both are fine (alts pushing 79 amps). Any thoughts??? I've tried to track down any battery drain but not really finding any. Not sure how to replicate the problem either.

And another little thing, my cruise light blinks once in every maybe 10 times I drive. I have heard this is a "pending code", but o'reilly's code checker didn't find anything. Thoughts? Take it somewhere with a better code reader?

your thoughts are appreciated.

• I Donated

Clock should not be turning off when cranking. There is something wrong with your charging system that is causing a voltage drop, which resets the ECU. Whenever the ECU is reset, it causes the car to crank for 5-10 seconds before firing.

How are your battery cables? Any corrosion from the old battery? On my old Infiniti, the car wouldn't start without a jump due to gunk on the terminals/cables. I cleaned off the gunk and it was fine until I sold the car many months later.

Have you cleaned the cables? Or just tightened them down? If you haven't cleaned them, do that first.

Tried cleaning the terminals and tightening them down... no luck.

Unless you mean cleaning the actual cables which you'll have to tell me how to do that:lol:

I wonder if the fuseable link is starting to go.

Like the other found out his problem was.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/electrical-mystery-helpi-suggestionsi-196589.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

IDK sounds pretty different, I get all my power as expected but no ignition. The engine also turns over fine every time I roll start it.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm either A) going to spend a lot of money trying to track this issue down or B) spend a lot of time waiting and trying the key in my driver's seat.

I'm fine with B for now :)

Archived