LegacyGT.com

Resource for purchasing extended gold warranty?

Hi all.

I just sold my 2001 Outback and purchase a 2015 2.5i Limited Legacy.

I purchased it from a non-Subaru dealer with a few months and miles left on the factory warranty. Since I sold the old Outback I'd like to get the gold plus plan 7/100k/0.

I've read on the forums of folks getting very good deals for the warranty and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of who I could call/email to get the plan (since it seems you can get it from any dealer).

I did search the forums, but I didn't notice a thread that had recommendations for after the purchase.

Thanks for your time.

I bought mine on-line from a Subaru dealer that was selling them at a discount. For my '16 I got the 7/100 plan for about $900. The selling dealer wanted about 1300. It is my understanding that Subaru put the kibosh on dealers selling discount warranties and that everyone now pays the "same" price.

I just looked up extended warranties on the web and the dealer I got mine from does not have a listing so I suspect what I was told about the discounts is true.

You are correct clevere1...dealers want to make as much as they can off these warranties and some even sell OVER MSRP for the warranty. I have found that PS has the best prices so give them a call. The list prices (MSRP) are what's on there website for reference.

You are correct clevere1...dealers want to make as much as they can off these warranties and some even sell OVER MSRP for the warranty. I have found that PS has the best prices so give them a call. The list prices (MSRP) are what's on there website for reference.

Thanks all. Planet Subaru had the best price, while not as inexpensive as I would have liked, much better than the other dealers I contacted.

Thanks again everyone.

Not much experience with extended warranties. Is it correct these extended warranties typically run concurrent with the original? i.e a 7/100 purchased on a new vehicle with 3/36 is really only buying a 4/64 warranty. I have read one should not buy one until near end of original.

@rec630 - yes, they start from the vehicles in-service date. If you have read that one should not buy one until near end of originial...there are two trains of thought:

1. Buy it NOW before the warranty prices go up

2. Buy it right before the 3/36 expires and put the money in the bank

I always buy them now because I can afford them and the interest earned on about $1500 over three years at today's interest rates is minimal so I bet on the fact the price of the warranty going up will out weigh the interest earned.

Your call but I believe I have answered your questions.

Archived