LegacyGT.com

To Spec B or not to Spec B

Strabismo

I need to decide and any advice will help.

I've already seen the 2k7 spec B (but couldn't test drive it because there's only 1 per dealer) and I really liked how better quality the interior was compared to the previous models, the folding seats and everything but if I want a 2k7, I'l need to wait a year so I can find a second hand one for a decent price, there's no way I'm paying for the depreciation and all that crap.

The other option is to buy a regular 2k6 GT.

But I'm asking to everyone who drove both: Okay, there's only 5 speeds, the gearbox is supposedly less smooth and weaker and the suspension is too soft. But is the 2k7 Spec B REALLY worth the price difference and waiting another year?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided the price difference was worth it when i chose the 07 spec B but im not going to rationalize it or convince you in any way, for as many reasons i can give you it was the right way to go, other ppl can give as many reasons why its the wrong choice.

Sorry, you'll have to make up your own mind.

Ed

I just test drove an 07 Spec B...it was ok. I'd say save your money and find a used 05 LGT-they can be had for a reasonable price and buy yourself some JDM Spec B takeoff struts (VER.A if u can find them) and STI Pinks and you'll still be under the price of a new car with equal or better handling. Everything else on the car seemed "gimmicky" and i felt i would never use half of the extra stuff they offer on this car- SI drive, etc.

It's up to you tho. Thats just my opinion. Have fun!

This is my opinion. Take it for what its worth. You are paying Subaru a good amount of money for the suspension. Sure, the interior is a little nicer, but really if you have the money like that, by all means buy the Spec B. For me, I like to get better bang for the buck. Thats why I got an 06 LGT instead of an 07. I paid 27900 tags and title for mine back in July. (brand new with like 50 miles on it)

+1 I just got the Garmin Nuvi 360 portable GPS/Navi, its great. And you can edit, detour, stop, start, etc whenever you want. The SOA navi requires you to stop the car.

I still like the SpecB a lot. But I might just mod the OBXT to be better than a SpecB.

My .02, I bought a 2006 spec-b brand new when they first hit dealer lots, overpaid, yep. At first it bothered me but now having the car a year it was a great decision. The legacy GT in gerneral is a hell of a deal, and I feel the same way about the spec-b. People will hate on it via the safety of the internet, but I have had nothing but compliments (even by GT owners) about the Spec-b. I say if you have the cash and like to look of a fully integrated navi (not some tacky add on system) then this is the way to go. Even more so now that the 07 has the 6-speed. (although the gear spacing on the 5spd works better for tight autocross tracks :icon_bigg )

My .02, I bought a 2006 spec-b brand new when they first hit dealer lots, overpaid, yep. At first it bothered me but now having the car a year it was a great decision. The legacy GT in gerneral is a hell of a deal, and I feel the same way about the spec-b. People will hate on it via the safety of the internet, but I have had nothing but compliments (even by GT owners) about the Spec-b. I say if you have the cash and like to look of a fully integrated navi (not some tacky add on system) then this is the way to go. Even more so now that the 07 has the 6-speed. (although the gear spacing on the 5spd works better for tight autocross tracks :icon_bigg )

I will agree that money is the only issue here.

my two cents...I think the 07 Spec B is hot. I was going to trade mine in but only because of the tramission and the seats. I eventually walked away and told myself if I like it still that much in 2 years...buy it at the used price. I love my 05 LGT and with bilstein struts and pinks and then stage 2, it is better then the performance side of the spec b.
Semper Fi.

I saw somewhere that the typical Spec.B owner was like 45 years old. I fit right into that statistic. My reasoning:

I've been through the mod thing with cars in the past. I'm at the age now where I want to buy it that way, drive it and enjoy it without worries of warranty issues because of mods. I also don't have the time to spend on the vehicle and don't want to pay someone else.

I wanted the built in nav for the look as it was plenty functional for me.

I wanted the upgraded suspension which fit me just fine without being too stiff.

I like the wheels/tires better though that pushed me into having to buy a set of winter wheels/tires.

I wanted the steering wheel with radio controls.

I wanted the power seats with memory.

I wanted the VDC.

I wanted the smoother feeling 6 speed tranny though a smoother 5 speed would have been fine. I think the 6 speed is still occasionally notchy.

Does the Spec.B have features you want without adding them in later? If you're like me you'll opt for the B. If you like to tinker and mod, the GT might be a better (definitely cheaper) option.

I saw somewhere that the typical Spec.B owner was like 45 years old. I fit right into that statistic. My reasoning:

I've been through the mod thing with cars in the past. I'm at the age now where I want to buy it that way, drive it and enjoy it without worries of warranty issues because of mods. I also don't have the time to spend on the vehicle and don't want to pay someone else.

I wanted the built in nav for the look as it was plenty functional for me.

I wanted the upgraded suspension which fit me just fine without being too stiff.

I like the wheels/tires better though that pushed me into having to buy a set of winter wheels/tires.

I wanted the steering wheel with radio controls.

I wanted the power seats with memory.

I wanted the VDC.

I wanted the smoother feeling 6 speed tranny though a smoother 5 speed would have been fine. I think the 6 speed is still occasionally notchy.

Does the Spec.B have features you want without adding them in later? If you're like me you'll opt for the B. If you like to tinker and mod, the GT might be a better (definitely cheaper) option.

+1, well said. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Yeah, I'm only 30, but fit in with all of the points that Flash made. :) I thought about getting the GT and modding it (my brother owns an STi mod shop in Maryland and could walk me through a lot of it) but couldn't really see myself finding all of the time to do it. It all depends on your personal preference.

i just put money down on one today :icon_bigg

to me the car is pleanty fine the way it is.... I figure I should be able to hold off any modding till the car is paid off.... in any case my buick has more bang for the buck than any of these subies..... :icon_cool

i just put money down on one today :icon_bigg

to me the car is pleanty fine the way it is.... I figure I should be able to hold off any modding till the car is paid off.... in any case my buick has more bang for the buck than any of these subies..... :icon_cool

Congrats!

6spd is the main reason to go into an 07 B. I could use that extra gear everyday!

I went with the LGT and I'm using the saved money for a super audio system, wheels, accessport and more. It just really comes down to what's important for you. The fold down rear seats, srs and aux-in are all good reasons to go 07

As for navi, I just got a new Blackjack phone that going to serve navi functions. :)

I bought my SpecB last week. Now have 1K miles on it, and have changed the sway bars and the header/uppipe so far. Rides far better, and the MPG have gone up a bit.

Other things to consider. The NAV unit. Better off without it. A Garmin 376C would be a better buy (Good GPS, Updated Nav Maps, XM and XM visual weather ($$)). The Software for the SpecB Nav unit is dated 2004! My home street doesn't even exist, although I have lived here 3 years. And you can use the Subie unit while moving (no changes). Nav unit doesn't confirm the speed you are doing, a normal read out with Garmin.

Suspension is a bit too soft. Sway bars helped, but springs will probably be next. Something between the existing springs and STI springs. Will keep the struts.

XM radio. Hadn't check first (my fault), dealer/salesman said it was already included, just needed to signup. You actually have to buy an adaptor + install = $500. The 376C above would have given you both Nav and XM (+ XM weather mapping) for $775 !! Plus the Subie unit (Clarion) is a 1Gen XM unit, with the horrible hockey puck antenna and the NO-SCROLL readouts...this dates back to 2002!! Normal addon XM units can be found for $49.

Tires/wheels look great, but they are a bit wimpy in the wheel wells (plus the LGT SpecB sits about 1-2" too high...). Put my winter set of wheels from the 2004 STI on, and the 225/45-17 tires look much better. However, your choice of either swapping out the TPM for each wheel or spend $300 for new monitors from Subie. Tirerack has a great TPM system, which tells you the tire pressure for EACH tire + temp for $200!! If you don't use the stock TPM, the TPM light is supposed to flash at you (have not confirmed this).

After all of that, there is some great news. There is no uppipe cat so swapping out good headers and uppipe will not cause CEL lights. The engine seems to be a STI engine downgraded with a lesser turbo and intercooler. So, source the STI goodies, and you have a 300HP LGT SpecB (with the comfort you would never find in a STI).

From all of this, you might think I am dissatisfied with the SpecB. Absolutely NOT! Knowing I can get it to the fun car of the STI, and still retain the character/comfort/stealth of the SpecB is fantastic. However, I should have made a few better decisions in the Subaru accessories. I am looking forward to slowly upgrading the SpecB. If COBB will get the new AP ready, I will be upgrading a bit sooner!

I still feel I made a good decision for me! I don't fit the age group either (58). But that may explain why I like the comfort of the SpecB over the 2004 STI, however, I miss the handling/power of the STI.

awesome write up!! thanks for the advice!!

Cant wait to pick mine up... and maybe get lost with the nav.... j/k

Im with you on the comfort issue... I just dont belong in an STi style car after daily driving my buick for 3 years... but im only 22... I just know what class and luxury are at an earlier age

If you don't use the stock TPM, the TPM light is supposed to flash at you (have not confirmed this).

I've confirmed this. When I set up my winter wheels and tires I bought a set of TPMS valves and had them installed. On my first drive after installing the winter tires my yellow tire pressure warning light started flashing. It's still flashing as I've not made it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed. I've not been annoyed enough yet to make the trip though I'm sure I'd have to do something drastic if it did that for the entire time I owned the car.

Archived