LegacyGT.com

Speedo/odometer went out and CEL came on. What gives?

I don't know if the speedometer was working when I pulled out of the parking lot at work a little bit ago but I noticed probably 2-3 miles from my office that the speedometer wasn't working. I kept my eye on the odometer and noticed it wasn't turning about a mile later and maybe a mile after that the CEL came on. The car ran fine all the way home but I did notice that it was idling high, around 900rpm with a little variance in RPM that wasn't reflected on the tach.

Pending a visit to the auto parts store tomorrow AM to get the code read, what could have caused all of this to happen in the span of ten minutes?

Car is a 98 L wagon with the 5 speed and 182k miles on it. It has been trouble free since I bought it 15k miles ago.

Wierd... maybe a speed sensor? That would be my first guess. I'd bet that's what the cel code will say.

It is on the passenger side just on the top/side of the trans. You can get to it under the hood. It kind of looks like a black cylinder with a wire coming out of it.

I would guess a speed sensor as well. If thats the code I would remove the sensor and see if there's a lot of metal particles on the magnetic pick up on the sensor then also if the trigger is intact. This is what the sensor reads off of. Clean up the sensor and install then drive it. If its still not working you can test the sensor to rule out wiring or another cause. These speed sensors aren't cheap, they're $162 at Oreilly Auto Parts and probably more at the dealership. GL

Btw while your sensor is removed check your trans fluid it might need a changing.

no spedo cables since 95.

the speed sensor is probably bad.

they do not fail very often.

so used is safe choice.

worst case, the speedo drive gears inside the front diff are bad.

but it is probably the sensor.

Johnegg, the front differential began to make more noise than it had previously when the speedometer stopped working. It had been making noise for years and when I finally was able to check the oil level on the vehicle (it isn't mine; it's a friend's), it didn't even show on the stick. I acquired some GL-5 gear oil and topped it up. The noise quieted somewhat, but within 200 miles the speedometer failed and the front diff noise or noises became louder. Will inspection of the VSS allow me to see that the drive gears within the front diff are bad?

Would you agree that it would make sense to replace a noisy front differential before it catastrophically fails? That is what I am thinking is best, as the idea is to try to make this vehicle last as long as possible.

first, you do not replace the front diff unless you have a known good front diff sitting around at no cost,

and you have a lot of time,

and you are willing to take a chance.

second, if the diff ran out of oil, the speedo gears could be gone.

they are lube by the ring gear spinning in the ''pool'' of oil in the bottom of the diff case.

if you have to buy a used diff,

you may as well buy a used trans and call it a day.

less labor and not a lot of money and less chance of a foul up.

auto or manual trans?

manual trans do not have a bolt on front diff.

Archived