LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Intake

Thanks man. i guess I'll just do a drop in filter upgrade, and i'll have to find a non 3" exhaust. No point in going that large on an N/A car.:)

Any exhaust made for a 05-09 Legacy GT will fit your car fine.

As for an intake, it has been determined that the stock intake is the best set up for our engines.

That's what most of us have, I have a drop in K&N.

Your best bet for exhaust would be to get an axleback. Look around in the classifieds, every once in a while a set of cans pops up at a decent price. I got my X02 cans for 120 shipped in very good condition.

Edit: Cans is another word for mufflers, just in case you didn't know.

Everyone that has gotten the UEL header on here has nothing but good things to say about it. I'll take my chances.

lol. practically every aftermarket header ends up cracking over time, that thing has so many weld spots that you'd be lucky not to get leaks after a short term of use

The only ones that crack are cheap ebay headers that are made of fake chinese 304 steel. The rallisport uel header is a quality product and not made of cheap stuff. Grippin dont listen to people who no nothing about a product, i actually ordered the headers not to long ago myself, and no many others who have them and love them! Obviously if someone doesnt even no an uel header exists for our cars they shouldnt be on here talking crap about rallisports product.

As far as exhaust grippin a good combo i feel would be, uel rallisport headers, some decent cans, and maybe a resecnator delete. Good way to achieve boxer rumble. When it comes to intake, just as others have said our stock intake is the best for our cars, i would just put a drop in filter in.

thanks Vinny. I'm gonna order the header for sure. I'm definitely trying to achieve the boxer rumble. I bought a k&n drop in filter yesterday, already slid it in there. i was thinking about the gimmick motorsports cans.

Thanks man, I couldn't wait and took it out after work ;) I might ghetto rig the stock box with some intake tubing.

How's the KN&N drop in filter vs the cheap paper filter? Any noticeable gains?

Better initial and long term flow, more intake sound but stock fit and feel. Some folk will run a duct inside the box to a fender duct to channel air in a more linear fashion to the the engine. I would say that coupled with a hybrid intake would be optimal. By hybrid i mean keep the air filter box and replace the upstream tract:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2273/2248283334_3a629bb850_o.jpg

This intake was built by one of the most knowledgeable Subaru guys ive encountered on the forums Williaty

Thanks man, I couldn't wait and took it out after work ;) I might ghetto rig the stock box with some intake tubing.

How's the KN&N drop in filter vs the cheap paper filter? Any noticeable gains?

I did the K&N drop in, and I noticed a much smoother flow. granted the filter that was in there looked like it hadn't been changed since 2008. But I agree on the sound too. It has a throatier sound. Nothing drastic, but noticeable.

• 1 month later...

Anyone pull out the bottom piece of the stock air box?

I did an oils change yesterday and deiced to swap out the air filter and my buddy pulled off that bottom piece. I hear a rumble now but don't know of it's me but feels a little less responsive.

Is there a thread on this? I tried to search.

Archived