LegacyGT.com

Outback tires on legacy wagon?

kirbye

I'm new here but I did search first! I just bought a 2005 Legacy wagon. I have only owned outbacks before and I have my studded tires from that car. They are 225 60 16 and the stock legacy size is 205 55 16. From the tire size calculator, I know these are about 1.8" larger in diameter. Has anyone put this size on the legacy? Do they rub when turning? Any info is appreciated as it is winter here in WA and as you know a studded suby is nearly unstoppable. Thanks!

Was just logging on to ask the exact same question as I am thinking about lowering my outback with legacy suspension. Just bought new blizzaks and want to make sure they will fit before I spend more money on suspension. Very interested to see if anyone has some good input on this.

I'm new here but I did search first! I just bought a 2005 Legacy wagon. I have only owned outbacks before and I have my studded tires from that car. They are 225 60 16 and the stock legacy size is 205 55 16. From the tire size calculator, I know these are about 1.8" larger in diameter. Has anyone put this size on the legacy? Do they rub when turning? Any info is appreciated as it is winter here in WA and as you know a studded suby is nearly unstoppable. Thanks!

Was just logging on to ask the exact same question as I am thinking about lowering my outback with legacy suspension. Just bought new blizzaks and want to make sure they will fit before I spend more money on suspension. Very interested to see if anyone has some good input on this.

The issue will be the proximity of the tire to the strut housing. Outback struts are longer by over an inch. The tires might work but rubbing is completely possible. I like a bit more sidewall myself, but 225/60/16 seems like a lot of tire for a non=outback legacy. my .02

it can work IF, you get lower offset wheels +48 instead of the oem +55 in order to mover the tire away from the strut. you may rub on the fender so some camber may aid that. find someone to let you test fit and outback wheel/tire combo witht he outback oem wheels since they have the lower offset.

So the local tire and repair shop is owned by friends of mine and we mounted up one tire on the factory wheels to check the fit. The strut is definitely the tight spot but it does clear. There is about 1/2" of clearance with the 225 60 16 tires at that spot. When the steering is at full lock there is a very small rub on the plastic inside the wheel well but very minor. The rear fits just fine. Since I already owned the tires, I'm going to run them for this winter but will probably look for some that are the stock size for next winter. I live at the end of a mile long gravel driveway that can be muddy and snowy in the winter and I have noticed more mud on the side of the car since switching sizes. My wife does not love the fact that the speedometer is about 6 mph off, but she did not want to buy new tires either. I'll post an update if there is anything to update. Thanks!

i am running 225/55/17 and they rub just a little bit when you hit a bump while turning with some warn front dampers.

i am now planning on xt length dampers, but i suspect newish tight dampers would not have it rub. it will also only rub on the drivers side so i dont know what is up with that. a roll would also stop the rubbing.

Archived