LegacyGT.com

:? Opinions Yokohama V901 Winter/ AVS Winter

nicd

I was about to pull the trigger on a set of Nokian RSi tires for this winter in 205/50/17 at a cost of 233.25 cdn$, when the dealer threw a wrench in the equation and offered me the Yokohama s for 205 cdn $ a tire. This after I elemenated the Dunlop M3, goodyear GW3, Nokian WR etc .Now I had never really heard of this tire and it does seem to get great reviews but I need first hand feedback, is this with a V rating that will work mircles in the snow? Or are we back again to the debate ice tire vs performance winter tire. [url]http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireFeatures.asp?TireID=49[/url] or the Nokian RSi[url]http://nokian.verstas.com/get.vers?f=1674[/url] Please understand my hesitation I have always had Nokians because I was always able to fit the ones I wanted on the car, NRW,Hakka1+studs,Hakka2+Studs the only other tire I have had is a Toyo Observe G-02( forget it). PS I live in the city where snow is cleared regularly but it falls often and where ice and freezing rain are always lurking. I do not do a lot of highway driving just long hauls like Montreal to NYC or Halifax. I do not really beleive in going at V rated speeds in winter but i need a tire that will respond to my inputs and will not leave with the 4 wheels spinning(the only time that has happened to me was with the Hakka2 when I effectively beached the car(my rex wagon)

Why are you ruling out the WR's? I used the NRW's and WR's and have found both to be very good in urban areas. In fact I live in Toronto, and my family is in Montreal, and I drive every other weekend from one to the other :-) They have been great tires - and they will last much longer than the RSi's, and provide (in my opinion) 90% of the snow traction, but much better dry handling (and in both cities, the snow is cleared effectively). Just my 2 cents. Mal. Sorry I don't know much about the yokos. I was quoted $200 a tire canadian for the WR's in our exact tire size 215/45/17, which is a good price. This is steelcase tires ' mags in Toronto.

Done. I went in 205/50/17 in the RSI. Checked with Subaru and the change in profile is ok as long as all 4 wheels are done, obviously there will be a slight speedo error also after checking with Nokian, even in the friction tires the narrow tire will be the choice, plus they gave me 85$ per tire for my used Hakka2. If you have a chance to check out the flash presentation on the RSi looks really good. I have to admit to being a Nokian _hore :wink: Now I will just have to get the suspension ready for this winter and we should be set.

The WR is a winter performance tire. Thus you have a compromise for its handeling capabilities in the snow/ice/slush for better pavment traction. I do not drive hard in winter unless I am on a cleared snow packed road and I have my trusty studs on. My number one winter criteria is to be able to go at all times in winter speed takes a back seat. If I had gone with a winter performance tire it would have been either the Goodyear, Dunlop, Yokohama. But finally I got a "friction tire" I have to say the flash presentation sold me.

[quote name='gtguy']The WR is a bit compromised in the white stuff. They don't make the RSi (a tire I am also considering) in the exact GT size. You can either go 225-45-17 or 205-50-17, apparently. Kevin[/quote] Compared to a WR 215/45x17, the RSi in 205/50x17 will give you a reduction in revolutions per mile of only 2.0% (843 rpmile vs 826 rpmile). Not too bad a mismatch. The 225-45x17 will give an even smaller percentage difference, but the tire will probably cost more than a 205, and being wider will presumably perform less well in snow.

The tires will be mounted and balanced on stock rims. The suspension I use right now is the Spec B which for winter is just wrong mostly because of the coils that are too stiff and also I have my doubts as to the Bilstein working well in minus 20 temps, already the STI setup I had on the WRX use to get rock hard when it got really cold. So chances are that the stock setup will be put back on the car for winter.

I purchased a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon about 1 month ago. It will arrive either tomorrow or early next week. It is being shipped from Vancouver (!) since they could not find me any other Regal Blue wagons with a stick shift and limited package in Canada (!) I purchased from Dowtown Subaru in Toronto. Mal. I will be looking to firm up the ride a little, but probably not to spec-B levels. It's possible that new springs alone will do the job since the concensus seems to be that the leg is under sprung more than it is under-dampened. We'll see.

Well all I can say is that the Bilstein dampers are nice in terms of dampening range and have a very nice liner phasing, I posted the data and graphs on them. If they are matched to a good set of coils: Swift, Sti, JDM GT: then you will have a very nice combo. PS I was supposed to get a Regal blue also but the wait at the time was too long so got a black. :)

Nicd, where did you buy your Nokian RSi? I have a very hard time finding some here in Ottawa. I go to Montreal every weekend so it will probably be easier to buy some there. BTW I got a Regal Blue wagon, unfortunatly I had to go with the EAT to accomodate the wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived