LegacyGT.com

Snow Tires

fubuki

Was wondering what you guys were running? I picked up a set of OEM Legacy 17s and plan on buying some new snow tires for them. The closest offset is 215/50R17, but that limits my choice. I've found some 205/50R17s and 215/55R17s, but both are off about 3%.

I've typically run Blizzaks in the past, but was thinking of trying something different. The Hankook W409s are looking nice and are a bit cheaper.

Thoughts?

I've had Nokian Rsi tires in 205/50-17 for the past 6 seasons. After around 30,000 miles they probably have another one or two years to go. Great in the nasty weather but fairly expensive. I would consider Continentals in the future. Had them on a Honda years ago with no complaints. Continental pioneered "thermogummi" a rubber which didn't get rock hard in cold weather.

I love my Blizzaks but the price tag can turn some people away from them. My tire guy likes to call them the "gold standard" of snow tires. Then again, I used to run a set of Hankooks too (discontinued model) that I also thought did great.

I'm running General Altimax Arctic XL, had them for 3 seasons now. Great snow tires for the money and surprisingly great thread wear. Got about 30k miles on them now and I wouldn't be surprised if they go 50k+, which is ridiculous for snow tires. It's a rebrand of Gislaved Nordfrost 3, both are own by Continental, one of the best snow tires of it's time. Reviews on Tire Rack are great and there are even people on there that run them all year round.

I used to have Nokian WR, also great snow tires but pretty expensive.

Have also heard good things about the W409.

I ran 225/45/17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3's on my BMW for 2 winters and then 225/45/17 Blizzak LM-60's for 2 winters, one on the BMW and the other on my Civic.

I liked them both, they both performed great in the snow however the Blizzaks wore out much faster than the Dunlops on dry pavement.

I appreciate all the input. I'd love to get some Hakkas, but don't really want to pay the money. I'm still leaning towards the iPike W409s, but we'll see. Now, I'm really considering running the 205/50s instead of the 215/50s. A bit narrower and cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the Yokohama Iceguards. those things kicked ass. Super grippy and comfortable as well.

I worked at Discount tire for quite a while, so I know my rubber...

my ex boss reccomended the Yoko Iceguards to me, and I was incredibly happy with them.

Unfortunately I procrastinated taking them off last spring so I am in the market for a new set...

Archived