LegacyGT.com

What should I ask for my '96 legacy?

I'm finally getting rid of my '96 subaru legacy I inherited from my grandmother. It served me well and probably cost me less over the last 6 years than I deserved with the way I neglected it, but I've got some decent money now and just bought myself an '07 Volvo S60R. Now I need to sell the subaru and I'm not sure how much to ask. In the past 3 months I had to dump a bunch of money into it to keep it going as my daily driver. I replaced the battery, alternator, starter, plugs and wires. The brakes and tires are close to needing replacement and the wear pattern on the rear tires indicates it may have a rear suspension problem. It runs fine, and aside from the recent electrical issues it has never stranded me.

It's got 142k miles on it now and it's not in the greatest shape but for a 16 year old New England car it's not terrible. It only has minor rust spots around the wheel wells because my grandmother kept it garaged for the first 10 years of its life. It's a 2.2 Legacy L automatic with AWD, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, cruise control, and nothing else special. Steel wheels, tape deck, a scratched windshield and cloth seats with a hole about two inches long worn through the fabric and foam of the driver's seat to the metal bar. It's got lots of little scratches and a few nicks in the paint but no real dents. All of the electronics work and doesn't even smell much.

I was planning to ask $1500 and hoping to get $1000 but I've never sold a car before and I'm not sure how likely that is. I've spent more than $1000 on repairs in the past year but I guess that's to be expected on an old car. People on craigslist are asking anywhere from $900 to $2500 for cars like this but I don't know what they're actually selling at.

Edit: I also have pretty much complete service records... for what that's worth.

Anyway I guess I could have posted this as an advertisement in the for sale forum but I'd rather get opinions on pricing/value here first if possible.

Oh and if you're wondering why I didn't just trade it in, I bought the S60R from a private seller.

$1500 sounds like a good deal. I paid $1200 for mine and the rear end was bashed in and it needed new tires, pads and rotors. You could probably get more. Check your local craigslist and see what others are asking for theirs.

I vote you keep it so you have something to drive when your Volvo breaks down. :p

you should post it for sale here, on craigslist and ebay for $3900. include the tag line '' johnegg''. i'm sure you will get at least one offer for $1000.

good luck.

car pricing is very very much regional. and very much ''what does it need?''

• 2 weeks later...

Archived