LegacyGT.com

Test Drove a Legacy today... Very Impressed and Interested

Hello All,

Noob here. I test drove a Legacy today. Not because I was looking to buy one, but because I have seen them on the street and liked them. Thought I would see how it felt. I test drove the Special Edition 2.5i Auto. While I am not impressed by the power. I am thoroughly impressed with the handling, comfort, looks and ergonomics of the car. So much so, that this is all I have been thinking about today.

I am actually contemplating purchasing the Legacy, this is how much I liked it. Was wondering if the you fellas could enlighten me on this car.

Coming from a 222HP 5SPD Maxima to a 175HP Auto could be a culture shock. Has anyone gone down like that... I really enjoyed driving the Legacy.

The sales person actually started my Test Drive in an ICY and SNOWY field near by and asked me to do some nice twisties which left me extremely impressed.

Your comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

GT handling > 2.5i handling.

if you think the 2.5i handled great you should ride in the GT. plus the GT has a ton of aftermarket suspension parts. most guys on here, me included would say that the stock suspension is one of the weak points of the car.

btw....by the end of the model year you could pick up a GT for about 24K-25K.

the car's---both versions---are fun to drive, but if you love the hp, you gotta go for the gt, you'll be happier....

i went from an olds to the se sedan, and i loved it; so, i'd say gt over the 2.....

not addicted to hp, then either will do ya

Not to mention lower mpg and running Premium...funny how people don't mention that when talking about the $$

I would love to have a gt....then i pass the gas stations and see the price for premium. Im happy with my car.

I have mufflers and a AVO panel filter on a 5spd...I am happy with the power , don't know if i could live with the auto though.

I know I am very happy with my 06 Legacy SE, and I have not found the power lacking yet. My only disapointment(not really that much) is the mileage, but I upgraded from a 97 saturn 5spd (~35mpg city). I could go 2-4 weeks between fillups. Now im lucky to go 2 weeks.

Alex

I have been driving manuals from day 1. My first car (and don't laugh at this) was a 1998 Chevy Cavalier. I bought it in 97 with 9 miles on the ODO, it took me like 15 minutes to get it off the LOT...

I do not like the Premium require, as a matter of fact I hate it and would like to stay away from it. My gas guzzling VQ requires premium and trust me it hurts. Especially when around me the price difference between regular and premium is like 40cents.

I would trade power for gas mileage...

I think the powere in the 2.5i is fine for everyday use. i have a couple relativs that just go a 07 2.5i and they think its too fast. granted they are older people, but having driven a non turbo 2.5i for a long while, i think its more than enough for a DD. just be sure to get a manual though. i think the subaru 4eat is garbage.

i have had my 07 2.5i se since november and love it. after i took a test drive in both an auto and 5spd, i got the auto cause its my dd. after driving it the first time, i was set to get one. it has really good power, love the styling and has alot of features. i traded in my 04 frontier crewcab 2wd auto and happy with my decision. the past few days we had a snow storm come through, and had no problems getting through. i would recommmend it.

I had a non turbo auto outback as a loaner when my 5mt LGT wagon was in the shop. It was not bad and it got alot better gas mileage. I got close to 30hwy. the best I get in my car 24 hwy.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I do agree with what everyone is saying.

You should drive the GT. I did, and still ended up getting a 2.5i Ltd wagon. I did it for all the reasons you listed. No premium gas needed, insurance is less, etc. No, it's not nearly as fast, but with the Ltd, I have everything I want. I got the satellite radio, sunroof, dual climate control, heated seats, etc. It's a frickin nice ride. I traded in an 03 Legacy SE wagon for my 07, and my insurance WENT DOWN! Wouldn't have happend with the GT.

My .02. Get what you want though, we'll welcome you either way!

Definitely get what you want. Last year I couldn't afford the GT so I went looking for the 2.5i version. I test drove both, and really loved the GT much more. More power, better handling, the biggest part was the cool electro-illuminscent gauges. I waited a while and kept my options open. Then I struck gold...a 2005 GT with only 14,000mi for $17,000. I spent $98 on a plane ticket, purchased it, and drove home in 8 hours (PA to RI).

You can find good deals, even slightly used GTs for under the price of a new 2.5i. For me, the better handling, power, refinement (05 models), and other things were worth -5 mpg and +$2 per fill-up for premium gas. But most of all, get what you want. If you want a 2.5i, get it, but don't look away because of small things like mileage and premium fuel. Those issues melt away when your hitting the twisties with a 250hp rocket ;)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Archived