LegacyGT.com

AVO 420 installed

God help me

Had an AVO 420 installed at Agile Auto along with all the other supporting mods below. First impressions are really awesome! It's raining here so i havn't quite got to really test it yet but it's alot more powa then stg 2. It ends up spooling at about 4500rpms and holds 21 psi till redline which for me is ideal bc i drive alot of people around in my car and they don't need to be having heart attacks the entire ride:lol: As far as fitment goes, the AVO had a ton of issues. But after they finally got all of the issues taken car of i was off boosting my ass off around town! Thumbs up to Agile for their customer service and patience to finally squeeze that turbo in there! Thanks!!

Now before everyone asks why i didn't go with a FMIC, is i didn't want one. I like the sleeper look and imo a FMIC on a legacy looks a little odd. Also this is my end game no more power adders for me, this is all i wanted outta this car.

Current Mods:

AVO 420

AVO TMIC

740cc injectors

Walbro Fuel pump

Perrin turbo inlet

Cobb SF intake

Cobb TBE

Cobb UP

Cobb Turbo heatshield

GM boost solenoid

Accessport

Protune from Hill @ Agile 326whp/320wtq :icon_bigg

Injector duty cycle - don't answer - they will start making fun of your fuel injector choice :hide:

Naw, not me :lol:, just curious as your end numbers are what I will be looking for in the future and I keep seeing 740s up for grabs in the classifieds, but wonder if I should jump to the 850s. I found a website that calculates approximate IDCs for HP of FI engines. You look spot on for 80% IDC which is not bad at all.

Hey OP, FMIC can look cool or look odd at the same time. I recommend you take a look at Crazy Ken's car one day. He has a FMIC, but it looks absolutely amazing. His car would look sleeper, if not for the Tenzo Rs he has on his car! LOL!

But one warning about going with a FMIC, your turbo will spool later. And with a bigger turbo, it would spool a lot later. However, on the plus side, you will have gobs of bottom end, so getting up in the RPMs will not take long at all.

Personally, if I get 300 WHP and Wtq, I'd be happy. But won't be doing any mods until I get a better suspension setup, along with brakes. No good in having tons of power and no stopping power. Good way to lose money.

Hey OP, FMIC can look cool or look odd at the same time. I recommend you take a look at Crazy Ken's car one day. He has a FMIC, but it looks absolutely amazing. His car would look sleeper, if not for the Tenzo Rs he has on his car! LOL!

But one warning about going with a FMIC, your turbo will spool later. And with a bigger turbo, it would spool a lot later. However, on the plus side, you will have gobs of bottom end, so getting up in the RPMs will not take long at all.

Personally, if I get 300 WHP and Wtq, I'd be happy. But won't be doing any mods until I get a better suspension setup, along with brakes. No good in having tons of power and no stopping power. Good way to lose money.

This late spool has been debunked...can not speak from experience...but 20ft of intercooler pipe (much more than used on a leggy FMIC) is equal to ~1 cubic foot of air (2.5 inch pipe). That my friend would not be noticeable so no worries :spin:

Everybody knows that large turbos spool as fast or faster than small turbos.

Care to explain? Or are you being sarcastic. :lol:

I was told that a FMIC coupled with a larger turbo equals more turbo lag and spooling. Was I misled? I am planning on installing a VF52 turbo in my future, once the engine ticks 30K on the odometer. But first, suspension and stopping power. Then engine power.

I'll let other people back up their claims, that is just what I have read :lol:

What you will get with a front mount is worse throttle response.

Do you have any sources? Because logically speaking, the longer the air has to travel to the Turbo, the more lag it would create (from what I was told). I mean it does make sense. But if this is farce I wanna read it and show it to my friend Jeff. He used to be a Subaru mechanic for 8 years before joining the Navy and ultimately joining the IT field. He still does his own work on his car and it runs gorgeously.

http://www.legacygt.com

You will find people claiming that larger turbos build boost as fast or faster than a stock turbo, that large turbos lead to better gas mileage, that lag is really fun, that grounding kits make a difference since the ecu is less "confused", that the type of motor oil used is very important to engine life and a hundred other things that are complete nonsense.

:lol:

I meant more professional sites or even NASIOC with a good write up. I usually take people's claims about their upgrades with a grain of salt. Because just by changing the size of the piping in one's car will equal better power and a less noticeable turbo lag.

As far as grounding kits, I am a bit skeptical about that stuff.

And about the right type of oil, I'll avoid that like the plague. I run Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30 and I haven't burned a drop of oil since. The engine feels smoother too. But then again, I am a stickler for my car, especially after 8 points on my license and a driver improvement program I had to attend.

Yeah, I won't call a judge's judgment bullshit out loud anymore. I will just keep that to myself and be a bit more polite. :lol: And yes, I did say his judgment was bullshit out loud and to him directly. Surprised I was not held contempt of court.

Why can't people answer questions properly?:confused:

On a WOT low rpm-high run, there will be no noticeable difference between a TMIC and FMIC as far as onset of boost. In other-words, it will not show up on the dyno.

Rao is right about the FMIC, that little teenie bit of time it takes to fill the FMIC and piping up leads to worse throttle response.

Archived