LegacyGT.com

Switch from synthetic to conventional oil after rebuild

Hey all 08 LGT engine blew a few months back took it to the dealer they decided it needed just a new short block at no cost to me thankfully. Before this all i ran was synthetic when they put it in they used conventional without telling me. My question is since you arent supposed to switch under normal circumstances is it the same after a rebuild? Now it sounds like i have another knock been meaning to upload video of the sound will do soon.

You should not break a new motor in on synthetic oil as it can make it really hard to get the rings bedded properly. Run dino oil for 5,000km or so and then go back to synthetic once fully broken-in.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Going from full synthetic to conventional is OK as long as the car does not call for full synthetic from the factory. That old wives tale of "once you use synthetic you can never go back to conventional" is a myth. http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/types-weights-and-viscosity/

If a customer insists on the cheap conventional oil and it calls for 0W- whatever, (which are full or synthetic blend only), I advise them that I can't/won't perform the service.

Why did your engine fail in the first place?

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

They never told me why it failed even when i asked and it wasn't in the paperwork but when I called actual subaru not the dealer they told me specifically do not switch back to conventional. Im not trying to argue because i don't know but that's what they told me.

You should not break a new motor in on synthetic oil as it can make it really hard to get the rings bedded properly. Run dino oil for 5,000km or so and then go back to synthetic once fully broken-in.

Old wives' tale. I broke in 4 new cars on Mobil 1. 2 have over 100k and none burn/consume any oil.

Mobil1 is such shit it's no better than dino and in many cases worse!
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Crappy engine sound from my LGT: http://youtu.be/hzIjKuEs21g

will add one from under hood when im not at work

Link doesn't work.

You shouldn't break in a new motor on synthetic unless the builder (Subaru) specifies it.

As for the oil starvation, how many miles are on the car? Did they do a leakdown test?

What was the oil consumption like?

Im sorry they did say it was starved of oil but why it was is what they didnt answer. I had just done an oil change after checking to make sure i was using the exact amount of oil recommended and somehow it was dry.

yea i gotta upload a new one but if it helps its like a woodpecker sound and does increase with throttle.

it was about 88k when it blew i cant say if they did a leakdown test. I was like a quart low every like 10 days, I had read subarus burned through alot of oil so i thought nothing of it.

yea i gotta upload a new one but if it helps its like a woodpecker sound and does increase with throttle.

it was about 88k when it blew i cant say if they did a leakdown test. I was like a quart low every like 10 days, I had read subarus burned through alot of oil so i thought nothing of it.

They do. But a quart every ten days is ridiculous. That much and I would think both the engine and the turbo would be causing it.

Engines are notorious for burned valves. Also cracked piston ringlands on cylinders 2 & 4.

Turbos make it about 80k before they need a rebuild/replace, some go longer, others not as far. Depends really on how the vehicle has been maintained and driven.

They do. But a quart every ten days is ridiculous. That much and I would think both the engine and the turbo would be causing it.

Engines are notorious for burned valves. Also cracked piston ringlands on cylinders 2 & 4.

Turbos make it about 80k before they need a rebuild/replace, some go longer, others not as far. Depends really on how the vehicle has been maintained and driven.

Luckily my turbo is alive at 100k I'm looking at rebuild or replacement want to go bigger but I keep seeing that the 5mt cant handle the horsepower.

Read my click here link. I went to Amsoil 5W-40 European full SAPS at 3000 miles, after using Castrol GTX for the break in.

That SB has over 51,000 now.

Oh, the 5mt is fine for more HP, I had Moore Performance Blast Plates installed on mine, they make the tranny shift much nicer as well as making it stronger.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If it's that faint...why are you worried. These engine make that light ticking sound, its the injectors firing. If you have any thing knocking harder...then you may have issues.

I couple of us have posted our engines sounds on here. Mine may be in my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived