LegacyGT.com

Headlight issues fixed!!

carman493

I work at a subie dealership as most of you may know, and to tell you the truth all in all so far I've seen 3 people come in with new legacy's or outbacks, with a burnt out bulb, and I've seen maybe 5 on the road with burnt out bulbs. It's weird because I don't see a lot of these on the road, and it seems as though there are a lot of burnt bulbs for so few vehicles...maybe it's just a quality issue on the bulb manufacturer's part...

Guest *Jedimaster*
it was empty?

I was wondering if it was frozen- we bought our cars from the same stealership and mine was filled with water- I had to chop slush up on a semi warm day with a long screwdriver.

To be honest, I forgot to ask how they fixed the washer issue, I know it wasn't empty though, they may have just gotten covered in salt from the road as it dried up on the car. I havn't cleaned my car in over a month, been workin too damn hard lol.

The headlight bulbs just went out, that's it, if it happens again, however, i might just get hid's. Anyone else's lights just go out like that?

• 2 weeks later...
I have had similar trouble with mine.. I have so far been through 2 replacement Silverstars on each side and tonight the driver side blew again.. I have had the car since the end of Aug.. If only I could remember where I put the OEMs I took out.......

Add another casualty. Driver side low beam went out sometime today. I kinda freaked at first thinking it had something to do with the sealant not setting from when I cleared them out, but upon further inspection, everything looks ok. I'll call and set up an appointment tomorrow.

Wouldn't bulbs, be considered normal maintenance items?

Like:

Wiper blades

Brakes

Tires

Blinker Fluid

and

Muffler bearings???

Seriously though....Maybe they did you a favor, but IMO, they shouldn't be covered.

I dunno they could have been trying to be nice, but I consider part of the bumper to bumper 36K deal. I did have to sign off on so that they could be reimbursed by SOA for the labor and bulbs. If you read through the forums you'll see that others have had bulbs replaced under warranty. I've also heard of brakes being replaced and wipers. Tires of course have their own warranty from the manufacturer.

Bulbs themselves have warranties on them. If a bulb blows after 5 hours of use for example, then there is something defective with them. If the bulb blows in a reasonable lifespan of a bulb then they aren't going to replace them. Bulbs should last longer than a few hours though. Subaru would have to take up the warranty issue with the manufactuer of the bulb.

edit: From the sound of this I think they should be looking at your wiring harnesses. It sounds like too much power is making it to the bulbs and causing them to blow. Maybe the wrong size fuse is being used or something. The electrical system is definitely covered under warranty.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

My bulbs were replaced when i had about 17K miles on the car. I picked it up on August 2 and DRLS are not inactivated so thats more than a few hours of bulb life. Of course mine were only replaced that one time. Again, this was covered by the warranty.

Cheers

Wow, who'd a thunk.

I did save my receipt from Pep-Boys though.

When we take it in for the non-dimming mirror and the moisture ladden headlight housings, I'll ask them to reimburse us.

Maybe the moisture on the inside of the housings was the cause of the bulb blowing? Or was it the other way around?

Very unlikely they would reimburse you. I was told by my dealer that warranty servicing is actually handled by a third party company not SOA. As far as moisture being involved in blowing the bulb, I wouldnt know. I've never seen condesation in my lights.

• 1 year later...
driver's side went out last night..tried the fuse and wiring, still nothing..how much does a replacement blub run if you bring it into the dealer? (both subaru dealers in my area are crooks and will probably give me a hard time to get it replaced under warrentee)..just want to get an idea of a price, and if it's possible to get a new bulb at an auto parts store..

Archived