LegacyGT.com

Need quick help: valve cover gasket

I haven't taken one of these off of a H4 before, I know on normal I4s there is obviously no need to drain the oil. On these cars is it necessary to drain the oil, or is it all sitting in the pan?

Is there anything I should be weary about taking this thing off? I have done the VC gaskets a bunch but this is the first time it is horizontal...

I would drain the oil. If you don't have a copy of the "vacation pix", you need to download them. You need to seal the valve covers with RTV gasket in certain stops or you will get oil leaks. Have fun!
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

Thanks! I figured that would happen, just didn't want a quart to come out.

I have the vaca pics, but every reference I find to "rocker covers" is to just remove them, my good ol' cntrl+f doesn't turn anything of value up... any key word searches? By the time I check back it should be off.

Got it off without too much hassle. My only concern is that I do not have the two half-moon gaskets and it seems like I should replace those...

Might as well contribute a little by doing a quick write-up:

1. Remove splash guard from under engine

2. Remove small intake pipe going from the air filter box

3. Remove part of the intake box, the easy part with clips

4. Undo two breather hoses on top of VC, tuck them away so you can get VC out

5. Undo clips that hold O2 sensor wires to the VC

6. Undo spark plug connectors and un-clip from VC

7. Remove 12 mm bolts holding the spark plug coils onto the VC, remove them (tight squeeze)

8. Remove all 8 bolts (different lengths, label) The bottom left bolt is a PITA

9. VC should be free from the head

Pro-tip: lay a whole mess of paper towels between the VC and up-pipe, its going to be a smokey couple of days.

Archived