LegacyGT.com

Engine Swap!

Sorry I posted in the wrong section before but anyway..

I found deal on a 2005 legacy gt engine with about 61k miles. I have a 2.5i and i have been looking to upgrade to a gt but now i found this engine and i dont think im gonna pass on it. If i do the swap what else would i need to change. ECU? Clutch? etc... Thanks!

Not knowing your back ground in repairing cars...do you know how major of a job this is ?

Most people would just trade their car in and buy a GT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

computer and engine and body harness.. and down pipe.

hood if your going to stay tmic.

clutch if you don't want your stock 2.5I to slip all over the place.

fuel pump ..

fuel pump control module. ( for the variable speed pump.

the harness in the car needs to be changed because many pins are switched .

and

and

annndddd

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I know the transmission is different in the gt, I don't know if the bolt patterns are the same between the two. Probably need to add transmission, driveshaft, axles, rear diff to the list. Probably need a guage cluster to go with the ECU also.

You do not need the FP control whatever :lol: the LGT and pump plugs and plays in the 2.5i.

You will need the ECU, harness, lower engine cross member, and the cluster as our cluster reads based on a SOHC and the EJ255 is a DOHC so the triggers are different. You can swap your 2.5i fork for a LGT and run a 06+ WRX/LGT flywheel and clutch pack. You will need the FULL exhaust and O2 sensors as well from the donor car.

Mechanically it can be done as these platforms are Plug n Play to a degree, but the big hurdle I see is the down time and facilites/tools to do it in a timely manner. You also should consider downtime if you were armed to the teeth it might take you a full weekend :)

You do not need the FP control whatever :lol: the LGT and pump plugs and plays in the 2.5i.

You will need the ECU, harness, lower engine cross member, and the cluster as our cluster reads based on a SOHC and the EJ255 is a DOHC so the triggers are different. You can swap your 2.5i fork for a LGT and run a 06+ WRX/LGT flywheel and clutch pack. You will need the FULL exhaust and O2 sensors as well from the donor car.

Mechanically it can be done as these platforms are Plug n Play to a degree, but the big hurdle I see is the down time and facilites/tools to do it in a timely manner. You also should consider downtime if you were armed to the teeth it might take you a full weekend :)

lower engine cross member is the same ..

you CAN use the stock tranny and axels. but they may be not as robust but may last fine anyways.

the cluster is the same also it works via can communication and the crank triggor is the same. the cam trigor are different but that doesn't go to the cluster anyways.

the cat back exhaust is the same between the n/a and gt cars.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

my brother is a mechanic so he would help me. I didnt ask him what else i need to switch yet so i just figured i would ask here. im getting the engine close to free and i have some money saved up but im not looking to spend like 5 grand :lol:

I still haven't gotten a complete answer on what else I need to change!

Cars.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Is that really true?

I know on the older cars, you HAD to swap or notch the crossmember to clear the uppipe.

If they are the same, then you could turbo a 2.5i for a few hundred bucks using off-the-shelf stock WRX parts (manifold, uppipe, turbo, downpipe to the stock catback).

If it were that easy, people would stop making threads about it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^ yea want a pic ?

Definitely! That'd be awesome if they were the same. They do have different part numbers, but that's not always telling.

The 2.5i has the throttle body front-and-center, just like the old cars, right? or is the 2.5i manifold like the LGT manifold, with the down-and-out throttle body?

Do you know if that's just the LGT that's like that? What about the 08+ Impreza? I imagine the 02-07 is the same as the old cars, where the crossmember interferes with the uppipe.

you CAN use the stock tranny and axels. but they may be not as robust but may last fine anyways.

the cluster is the same also it works via can communication and the crank triggor is the same. the cam trigor are different but that doesn't go to the cluster anyways.

the cat back exhaust is the same between the n/a and gt cars.

If the turbo X-member was the same as the N/A you would not be able to count how many of us would be running EJ255's :lol: Subaru did a few things to prevent cheap swaps for us and that was a major one.

The 2.5i 5MT is the same case and construction as the LGT the ratios are different the axles are the same so no worries there.

Is that really true?

I know on the older cars, you HAD to swap or notch the crossmember to clear the uppipe.

If they are the same, then you could turbo a 2.5i for a few hundred bucks using off-the-shelf stock WRX parts (manifold, uppipe, turbo, downpipe to the stock catback).

If it were that easy, people would stop making threads about it.

Exactly I would be running a rotated setup right now for under $1K

Coming from doing a swap on my own personal car it isnt just a few bolts as people make it seem. The proper way to do it is get a full harness for the car including the fuel pump controller. And whatever budget you give yourself add 25% to that. The 5 speed has different gear ratios but it will bolt up. You will need the whole front cross member, bulk head harness and exhaust. Front sway bar will be different etc etc etc.

Not to discourage you as I think swapping a car can give you a better appreciation and knowledge of what you have. However take your time, and do it right. Don't just get it running. There will be issues, and mysterious problems guaranteed.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Coming from doing a swap on my own personal car it isnt just a few bolts as people make it seem. The proper way to do it is get a full harness for the car including the fuel pump controller. And whatever budget you give yourself add 25% to that. The 5 speed has different gear ratios but it will bolt up. You will need the whole front cross member, bulk head harness and exhaust. Front sway bar will be different etc etc etc.

Not to discourage you as I think swapping a car can give you a better appreciation and knowledge of what you have. However take your time, and do it right. Don't just get it running. There will be issues, and mysterious problems guaranteed.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

What did you swap a RS to a WRX/STi ?

Archived