LegacyGT.com

Should I? Or should I not?

Hey guys, I'm somewhat stuck in a pickle. I've been thinking for a little while now to trade in my GRP 05 LGT 5MT non limited and get an 06-07 alpine white STi. The reason being why I have not followed up with the swap is because I am 18 years old and the LGT was my first car. I love the car and adore it to death. I love her so much to the point where if it was down to a girlfriend or the car, I would pick my car (no joke. Why? A car is reliable, fixable, dependent, and doesn't b!tch =D). The few thoughts that I have been running through my head and me not going through with the process is that, 1) I know every place the LGT has been since it was in my cousins hands from brand new, and about a year later, my father bought it off from him. 2) It's never been tracked, autocrossed, drag-raced, crashed, none of that stupid non-sense. 3) I don't let ANYONE drive it. Not even my best friends. 4) It's my first love and I'm scared to let her go and I'm afraid that I'll never see such a beautiful piece of artwork in my life! Basically what it balls down to, insurance cost is not a factor because it will be under my dad's name, therefore inexpensive (LGT is roughly $800 a year). I'm just wondering, should I save up about $8,000, sell the LGT and just buy the STi? I love the looks of the STi, the styling, body panels, the sound... just everything. But I don't have the balls to do it. My father suggested that I should keep the LGT (paid off by him, thanks dad), and buy an STi myself. I make roughly $400-$600 a week selling Verizon home services, (FiOS, DirecTV, HSI, Phone, HIT ME UP IF YOU NEED ANYTHING!!!) and I believe I should have enough to buy an STi. But should I do it or no? I need some opinions, facts, statements from more experienced people rather than just jumping to it. Thanks!!!

So you have a super clean, very well maintained and paid off that you want to trade for Boy Racer 5k, AKA, an STi? Wow. My vote goes keep it because sooner or later someone will want to run with you and it'll keep happening. I'm not much older than you (23) and for a DD, I wouldn't trade my LGT for an STi. So it weighs a couple hundred pounds more and stock for stock is slower. So what? That can all be fixed and still look and sound like an adult's car. Remember as I'm sure you know, pretty much anything they can do, we can do. Me personally, I'd rather take a date out in this car anyway. She'll look at it and think "Wow, I've never seen a Toyota this color before!" To that, reply with a redline run in 3rd gear with the heated seats on and some good tunes playing. Oh, and did your old man actually get a quote for the STi? I'm willing to bet he'll still get raped because you'd need full coverage on a financed vehicle. Much less one with the image of an STi.

I would say if u can afford it, go for it. However, I would love not to have monthly payments..... I could have saved alot more money if I hadn't traded my old car. But I have a problem. If I have more that enough money saved up, I need to spend it.

I love my LGT though:wub:.... its an awesome car. I would also pick it if it comes down to GF or car. :lol:

My girl loves my car, and happens to think that a buddy of mines STI is a bit to over the top. (Ala. Big obnoxious spoiler...lol)...plus she sees the LGT as more of a sophisticated car for an adult, not a kids toy...all plusses for me, and we share the same views for the most part, though maybe I have her fooled a bit with the sophisticated part...:rolleyes:

My .02, keep the LGT, save yourself the hassel from punks, insurance, and car payments....

I too am relatively young (just turned 22) but I would much prefer the LGT over the STI, just because it doesn't have an image or reputation with insurance, officers and people who just aren't subaru people....and about payments its sucks, don't do it....and i f you do still want to get the STI wait 3-5 years with the economy going the way it is you'll get one a lot cheaper

But no don't make the purchase, save your money or invest it into something that will pay you dividens vs. Depreciate In value (not the stock market, gold, silver etc.)

are you planning on going to school?

because you do not want an extra financial burden hanging over you if you're planning on doing that.

IMO get a beater sports car (ahem miata) for cheap. the sti and legacy although very different cars... would be too... incestuous (IMO) to have both at the same time.. if that makes any sense.

car for sale. PM me!

Sooner or later you are gonna have to get your own insurance and when that happens you may have to consider selling the car because of the cost. However if you keep the Legacy you can make it an STI(minus the look, but the Legacy looks better anyway;) ) and keep the low insurance payments.

On the other hand you are young and making some decent cash so do whatever your heart desires.

^House and education are very good investments so consider those as well.

Keep it, love it, treasure it, and pay that sucker off!!

If you want to change car down the road, save up first, and pay for it with cash from the savings and the sale of the old car. Payments = epic fail, always by a car with cash!

Depending on how much you do like it, i'd suggest modding it to get STi handling and moar power. That first car always makes a great impression. I still look back on my Liberty LX with fond fond memories, even thought my new one kicks it's arse in literally everything

Oh btw, "What it BOILS down to" not "what it balls down to" :p

I am 22 with an LGT, Legacy's are more of a grown up car than a Sti, i get props all the time for my car (slightly modified) its different from all the other cars out there.

If your dad is paying off the car (lucky bastard) save your money for a house. Seems like you dont have to many expenses put $300 aside a week and you will have around $43,000 in 3 years, whats cooler a kid with a STi or a kid with a house?

Wow, thanks for all your opinions guys. I think I will stick with the LGT and just mod it even more to run around 380awhp. And yes, my car is paid off by my dad when we first got it. The insurance would be pretty inexpensive per year for the STi because my father has kept the same car insurance company for the past twenty-something years and no accidents or tickets (knock on wood). I really like listening to the opinions of everyone older than me because, from experience, you know what's best... "save up for a house not an STi." My father does investments into commercial properties and I want to follow his foot steps; buying a run-down building, fixing it up and selling it for a great profit, then use that money to invest into real estate. I'd rather do that and be successful at an early age than rather paying off an STi. Also, many people ask me "Oh my God!! What car is that?!?! It looks sick!!" The women love it too =) Personally the interior is the best I've ever seen also minus some of the quality, but regardless, it's an all around great car. Thanks for the input guys, I'll stick with my LGT and maybe, possibly, buy an old 240sx or something in the future for those days that I can't drive the LGT depending on the place or condition. Again, thanks for all your input guys!

Wow, thanks for all your opinions guys. I think I will stick with the LGT and just mod it even more to run around 380awhp. And yes, my car is paid off by my dad when we first got it. The insurance would be pretty inexpensive per year for the STi because my father has kept the same car insurance company for the past twenty-something years and no accidents or tickets (knock on wood). I really like listening to the opinions of everyone older than me because, from experience, you know what's best... "save up for a house not an STi." My father does investments into commercial properties and I want to follow his foot steps; buying a run-down building, fixing it up and selling it for a great profit, then use that money to invest into real estate. I'd rather do that and be successful at an early age than rather paying off an STi. Also, many people ask me "Oh my God!! What car is that?!?! It looks sick!!" The women love it too =) Personally the interior is the best I've ever seen also minus some of the quality, but regardless, it's an all around great car. Thanks for the input guys, I'll stick with my LGT and maybe, possibly, buy an old 240sx or something in the future for those days that I can't drive the LGT depending on the place or condition. Again, thanks for all your input guys!

the best reason to keep the LGT, highlighted in bold. :)

id just about kill to be in your position again. i made many a trade in mistakes based upon the same gut feelings im assuming you're getting. the "getting tired of something regular" feeling, i promise you, a REGULAR car payment is much worse. enjoy your youth, and your fortune and save for education/home/investments. GL and as stated above, get ready for some para-graphin! BTW, your leggy is damn sechs itself!

Archived