LegacyGT.com

Considering a "high" mileage LGT

AWDFan

I'm thinking about going to test drive a LGT with over 60k miles. It's a 2005 LGT limited wagon.

What types of issues should I look for other than paint, sheet metal alignment, tire condition/matching, etc.?

Any special types of problems I should look for?

It does have Subaru's CPO certification, so I presume the dealership looked it over a bit.

How soon should I expect to get services like spark plugs, new clutch (assuming normal wear), etc.? Aren't the iridium spark plugs supposed to be good for 90k miles?

I'm kinda worried about all the "blown turbo" posts in the tech forums.

Oh... was hard to change ? was $$ ?

wondering why people keep saying "Subaru cost a lot and they are unreliable, engine keep blowing... !" seems that no-one have problemes...

there unreliable if you dont keep up with "preventative maintenance" That said you should, and must check your oil everyday stock or if you have any mods, and do not go over 3K miles between oil changes even if your stock.

As far as engine issues I'm suffering from intense blow by right now. Orig owner of a 2007,I put 41K on it so far been stg 2 since the summer and love it ever since. Of course i will need to pull my motor one day but until then oh well!

there unreliable if you dont keep up with "preventative maintenance" That said you should, and must check your oil everyday stock or if you have any mods, and do not go over 3K miles between oil changes even if your stock.

I think that's a minimum ! Maybe not checking everyday, but checking oil from time to time it's a minimum. I think it's so easy to "notice" when the car doing something he's not use too... well...

With gauge, you can see pressure drop when you need oil, so that's a plus !

Before even purchasing this car, be sure it has had a 60k mile service. Take a look at the table found here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

There is a member here who purchased his car and the dealer told him it had the service, when in fact nothing was ever done to it.

You will never know 100% how the car was cared for previously, so the blown turbo problem, that is just a chance you have to take. I'd suggest purchasing a warranty if you are worried you are going to run into insanely expensive fixes down the road.

I have 110k on my '05 GT wagon now. I've done all regularly scheduled maintenance, changed my oil/filter every 5k miles, and not until 95k did I have to replace my clutch.

In order of repair after 90k:

v-belts

clutch/water pump

timing belt

clutch position switch

**in 2 weeks: replacing original rotors, 1 caliper and pads.

other than that I've had NO major issues. my commute is typically 60miles a day sometimes more and i'm never in stop and go.

when my clutch was being replaced I had my mechanic inspect my turbo and he said it looked fine.

I'm thinking about going to test drive a LGT with over 60k miles. It's a 2005 LGT limited wagon.

What types of issues should I look for other than paint, sheet metal alignment, tire condition/matching, etc.?

Any special types of problems I should look for?

It does have Subaru's CPO certification, so I presume the dealership looked it over a bit.

How soon should I expect to get services like spark plugs, new clutch (assuming normal wear), etc.? Aren't the iridium spark plugs supposed to be good for 90k miles?

I'm kinda worried about all the "blown turbo" posts in the tech forums.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

As far as engine issues I'm suffering from intense blow by right now. Orig owner of a 2007,I put 41K on it so far been stg 2 since the summer and love it ever since. Of course i will need to pull my motor one day but until then oh well!

I would say once a week or every time you fill up with gas (Usually around a week for me) would be sufficient.

I am an owner of '05 GT LTD 5EAT with just over 36K. Pure stock, original tires. I change the oil every 3K. Only problems were windshield replaced due to faulty weatherstripping related wind noise and rear wheel bearing replaced, both under warranty. 18-20 mpg around town, 26-28 hwy. Also own '04 OB LTD. If you follow the factory recommended maintenance schedule and change oil at 3K they are as reliable as Hondas and Toyotas but be prepared to pay above average dealer service rates in my opinion.

Before even purchasing this car, be sure it has had a 60k mile service. Take a look at the table found here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

There is a member here who purchased his car and the dealer told him it had the service, when in fact nothing was ever done to it.

You will never know 100% how the car was cared for previously, so the blown turbo problem, that is just a chance you have to take. I'd suggest purchasing a warranty if you are worried you are going to run into insanely expensive fixes down the road.

Since the vehicle is listed as a Subaru Certified Pre-Owned automobile, I presume the dealer offering it for sale went over it pretty thoroughly. But asking about the 60k service is good advice.

Thanks for the maintenance link. I've visited cars101.com quite a few times but must have missed that one.

As far as warranty goes, I think I'll first look at the details of the CPO extended warranty before looking purchasing extra coverage. I generally don't think paying for extra vehicle warranty coverage is worth it. If I thought the vehicle would be that unreliable I wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Is that either the blue or silver one they have at Annapolis Subaru?

Yes. Neither is my first choice, but I think the window of finding low mileage 2005 models is starting to close. I've been watching the used market for quite a while, but now that I'm just about ready to buy there is very little available.

Yes. Neither is my first choice, but I think the window of finding low mileage 2005 models is starting to close. I've been watching the used market for quite a while, but now that I'm just about ready to buy there is very little available.

I am having the same hard time, very little available. Even within a 200 mile range of where I am, there are (I think) not even half a dozen currently on auto trader.

sicklyscott if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? That dealer is about the closest to me that appears to regularly have LGT's in, might be handy information knowing how they are on haggling.

the problem is they knew what they had, the used car manager is pretty knowledgable, he knew if I didn't buy the car, someone shortly would. They did work with me a lot on the trade in and took some money off the extended bumper to bumper I purchased.

I ended up paying 16500 for it, I know it's a bit high but it was in fantastic condition and the carfax showed all oil changes and maintenance since new. In my mind I paid a bit extra for the records which I'm ok with.

I don't think 16500 seems bad, especially if the trade-in offer was decent.

Yeah, its not bad at all. Especially with the manager knowing that they had a manual LGT wagon and how hard to find they are.

I am finding a lot of sites to be slow updating when cars are sold (dealers and classifieds alike) its kind of a pain.

• 4 weeks later...
the problem is they knew what they had, the used car manager is pretty knowledgable, he knew if I didn't buy the car, someone shortly would. They did work with me a lot on the trade in and took some money off the extended bumper to bumper I purchased.

I ended up paying 16500 for it, I know it's a bit high but it was in fantastic condition and the carfax showed all oil changes and maintenance since new. In my mind I paid a bit extra for the records which I'm ok with.

Yeah it is a good car with the maintenance records fairly complete like that. I got the silver one from Annapolis and consider myself lucky to get it at a very good price. I upgraded the warranty one notch (classic) but am now noticing the driver's side seat heater is lethargic and wish that was covered. What is the bad news on those things, btw? Otherwise I am very happy. Used cars are rarely perfect and good enough goes a long way depending on the price. Congratulations on your purchase!

You guys that have '02+ LGT either drive alot or I and the previous 3 owners drove very little. I have '97 2.5 LGT 5MT that only has 122K on it. I have already had the HG replaces and the water pump will be coming as soon as my tax return.

Pick up a used (but lower mileage) turbo for $250....cheap insurance if you want it.

Replace the sparkplugs if they haven't been (may not be necessary, but worth checking). Cheap if you do it yourself (but takes some time obviously).

Archived