LegacyGT.com

No power, 5eat, bnr 16g, possible trans binding?

Sooo, 2005 5eat with a Bnr 16g, tuned to 19.5psi. Car has had a slight loss of power here lately but in the last 24hrs its gotten to the point it will barely move under 4k rpm . Acted like plugs were fouled so,it has new now and still no power . Possible cnt catted downpipe clogged?? Strange part is the ecu is pulling timing as soon as it.begins to build boost, i've seen as much as -10 degrees at 10psi?? Any ideas??

No noises other than power steering pump which i've bypassed to make sure it wasn't "the" problem. No cel codes, I'll load the log as soon as i can. I'm leaning towards cam sensor due to the ecu retarding timing. . . . It also wouldn't suprise me to be transmission related due to the power level on the completely stock trans. . . Fyi

Id assume the car is in limp mode. disables boost and runs only waste gate pressure. Sounds like knock may be occurring, did you log that ?

look into any air leaks, maf sensor, and fuel system like injectors, pump, fpr. Might be running lean.

I'd also run a leak down test.

Limp mode would be my guess as well. I would look at front O2 and possibility of cat either being clogged itself or coming apart clogging exhaust. Had a Mazda MX-6 do that with the front cat came apart and clogged up the rear cat and it would idle fine and go slowly fine, and then had no guts at all. Eventually, all it would do is idle and would barely go at all.

Check your exhaust flow out the rear of the car and see how it feels. If you can find someone else with a car basically the same as yours, check and see how their exhaust flow compares.

So here's a log from the recent test drive after checking mechanical timing which was correct, and cleaning the MAF. Problem is definatly still there. I'm seeing some posts about the passenger cam sensor? I find the small irrregularity between the driver and passenger AVCS timing to be strange as well.

datalog36.csv

• I Donated

You are logging too much, and you're logging the wrong things. Log RPM, boost (a.k.a. manifold relative pressure), load, IAM/DAM, knock sum (these last two replace feedback knock correction and all four roughness counts), and throttle position for sure. Others may want timing, injector duty cycle, MAF (g/s), and WGDC. A third gear pull would help too. I do notice your WGDC is 0 throughout the log, which probably means IAM is 0 too.

Two possible reasons, judging by the weird Cyl 4 Roughness numbers:

1. Bad injector in that cylinder. Swap injectors between 2 and 4 and see if the problem follows the injector. You may need to log the cylinder roughness counts to determine this.

2. Low compression in that cylinder. Do a compression test.

Yes i noticed the roughness, its odd its only at idle and goes away as soon as i take off. I would also think low compression wouldnt be an intermittent problem as my problem comes goes, occasionally it runs flawlessly, unfortunately the problem shows itself 90% of the time. It does slowly get worse the longer it runs which leads me to think electrical (cam sensor, avcs related??)

• I Donated
Yes i noticed the roughness, its odd its only at idle and goes away as soon as i take off. I would also think low compression wouldnt be an intermittent problem as my problem comes goes, occasionally it runs flawlessly, unfortunately the problem shows itself 90% of the time. It does slowly get worse the longer it runs which leads me to think electrical (cam sensor, avcs related??)

When I cracked a ringland and lost half the compression in Cyl 2, I got considerable knock at idle, but less when under load. But, your problem seems to be that the roughness is high until the knock correction shoots up, then the roughness goes down. Basically, the ECU retards timing so much that knock goes away.

As for the intermittent thing... my car ran fine with the broken ringland at full throttle. It was crap at part-throttle, though. Also, I wasn't at wastegate boost.

Solved: So the problem at hand was indeed solved by a new passenger side cam sensor, $25 at local parts store. Ecu seems to be relearning itself but all hesitation is gone, thanks for the input fellas and ill still be looking into the cyl 4 roughness........

Archived