How does this timing belt look?

it does not matter what the belt looks like,

belt failure is rare, really rare.

it is usually the toothed idler that fails,

everyone replaces the belt,

but no one ever replaces the idlers.

or maybe the tensioner,

it should be replaced with every belt.

they get weak and will let the belt slip and the timing jump.

so if you plan on keeping the car a long time, better to replace everything now,

and be sure, for 100k miles.

if you plan on selling it soon, how lucky do you feel???

I just replaced the timing belt on a 2001 outback I picked up. Was the original belt with 200k on it. and had all original idlers. The belt was cracked every quarter inch and the idlers were almost impposible to spin. These belts will take a good beating before they go. My advice pull the belt off and inspect all the idlers and pulleys. The belt looks ok btw.

this is not possible, imho.

Yea i wouldn't beleive it either but it was, the car was driven by a grandma and she never had the timing belt done, this was the worst timing belt ive ever seen. All the idlers were shot and the geared pulley was about to seize. Belt was horribly cracked everywhere as well.

• I Donated
belt failure is rare, really rare.

I guess I got one of those "rare" circumstances. Tensioner and idlers all checked fine when I took everything all the way apart. The belt blew apart at about 5500 RPMs in second gear under full throttle racing down a dry river bed.

I was broke and couldn't buy a full component kit so I just bought the belt alone. I was willing to take the gamble since it is a EJ22E and I don't have to worry about broken vales. 10,000 miles on it since I swapped the belt and it is still going strong.

10377149_10152611825313326_2114658749294958457_n.jpg.0edb1dc2b3f0c221a9051ea6d6923afe.jpg

10626486_10152614086143326_6575570783431015611_n.jpg.f747ae8e88741589933c8d3952eabf09.jpg

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

OP if your car is the dohc and you dont know how many miles are on timing belt/idlers its cheaper to do it now and have peace of mind than to screw up a head if it fails.

If its sohc and you dont have the means to replace it right now its not as huge of a thing because ther are non interference motors and you dont run the risk of hurting your valves/head. So you could push it a bit if needed then your just having to pay more fore a tow truck vs tow truck +head work.

If its sohc and you dont have the means to replace it right now its not as huge of a thing because ther are non interference motors

not so.

the 97 - 98 ej22 sohc engines are interference.

and ALL ej25 engines are interference, both single and double OHC.

Archived