LegacyGT.com

What's the best way to remove the front grille?

Has anyone painted their front grille? If so, how do you remove the grille? It looks a lot more complicated than the older generation legacy's. I want to plasti dip it but would rather not paint it with the grille still on the car.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that plastidip resist rock chips well

It resist rock chips better then regular paint, it's like a rubberize coat, if you put a good 4-5 coats it'll hold up very well. I need to dip mine as well.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Guest rayms69
this post got me thinking about it, i would like to cover the ugly black strip on the roof. Would it work on that? Get silver and do the grill too. maybe the foglight surrounds and the side view mirrors(black part)

When I did mine, I took about half an hour just looking at the way it is attached. Unless someone can find something different, it looks like the bumper cover will need to come off in order to get the grille out.

I ended up just using a bunch of painters tape and newspaper and it worked out.

You should download the repair manuals from subaru, u must remove the front bumper, then u can get to the grill, your gonna scratch it up unless you have help

You should download the repair manuals from subaru, u must remove the front bumper, then u can get to the grill, your gonna scratch it up unless you have help

Free? Or it's that rip off price I saw on another post yesterday?

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I plastidipped my grille and really like the way it turned out. You don't have to remove the bumper. Check out the first few steps of the link below. The screws in the upper corners are a bit hard to get to, but it can be done. Once you have the screws out, you can pull the grill off.

http://www.grillcraft.com/installs/install_detail.aspx?install_id=257

Whoops, didn't realize this was for a 6th gen. Maybe its similar assembly? Worth a look.

Edited by LGTiowa

$35 for three days, pain to download because they keep cutting me off for downloads per hour, but i feel its worth it, official subaru how to. Just me, i like the knowledge. Thanks Iowa, grill looks great, i like the customization, giving me ideas!

There's 6 screws on the top, two on the bottom.

Held with 4 claws 2 on top and two on the bottom.

You'll need to remove drop the bumper in order to remove it according to the manual, but might be for the bottom part.

As for the top part I think with a small hand, short screw driver you could possibly remove the grill without dropping the bumper.

Cheers...

Capture.thumb.PNG.835b65ef9a5725b605992aea84f54809.PNG

• 5 months later...

That looks pretty good. Would be a nice hold over until I can get motivated to get a JDM one.

I might try to dip the trim ring as well and go all black

I'd love to see that. I've been keeping my eye out for black trim rimed ideas since I have a CGM car. Good luck when you get around to it can't wait for some pictures.

Edited by CheckYourLights

I just dipped my grill yesterday! You have to remove the bumper cover, which is surprisingly easy.

There are C clips under the hood for the top, count 4

9 C clips on the bottom under the car

And two C clips in the wheel wells.

Then you need to pry the cover gently from the wheel wells toward the front. It feels a little sketchy but just be careful and confident. If you have fogs, you'll want to disconnect them at this point. I recommend two people to remove the final assembly, but I managed by myself, with an old comforter on the ground to set it on.

It's almost exactly the same process as the WRX bumper cover removal here:

Then you just unscrew the grill from the bumper for spraying.

http://i.imgur.com/kB7GgUZ.jpg

Edited by PNWHardcore

• 4 months later...
Honestly In my opinion your best bet is to just take the bumper off and pop out the grill insert. Doing that is the safest, and guaranteed way not to get any over spray on your bumper, along with the risk of dripping if you spray directly on car. I took my bumper off and dipped the grill, took a few hours including drying time in between coats but 100% worth it. This is how it came out...http://s22.postimg.org/60m01cqp9/DSCN1381.jpg

Plastidip is awesome, but during a heatwave (not sure what role temp plays, but it felt soft) my neighbor kissed my grill with his Tundra. Poof--it's ripped. I haven't had a 5-hour block to fix it yet.

976857573_BrokenPlastidip.thumb.jpg.849d2d632d73a752606e5b9e2c630ef2.jpg

Plastidip is awesome, but during a heatwave (not sure what role temp plays, but it felt soft) my neighbor kissed my grill with his Tundra. Poof--it's ripped. I haven't had a 5-hour block to fix it yet.

Just spray over it with a few coats... Done.