LegacyGT.com

Searched - Wind noise from windshield area?

I searched and found nothing usefull, so here's the question:

I took delivery of my new '06 LGT Tuesday.:) I've noticed what seems to me to be excessive wind noise from the windshiled area, maybe the base of the windshield? It's hard to pinpoint. This morning on the way in I tried to quantify it; at 80 the noise is ~just~ a bit louder than one step below maximum fan speed noise (recirculate off, fresh air coming in) and less than max fan speed noise.

It goes up and down with crosswind gusts, so it's not tire noise.

How does this compare to everyone else?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read about this usually being from the side view mirrors, where they mount to the door. The area might not be sealed perfectly--I guess that area is very sensitive to even the slightest imperfections. You might want to eyeball it for any seams or gaps.

I've read about this usually being from the side view mirrors, where they mount to the door. The area might not be sealed perfectly--I guess that area is very sensitive to even the slightest imperfections. You might want to eyeball it for any seams or gaps.

+1 The Mirror grommets (the rubber sheath's that house the window when it's up, and that the mirros attach to) were prone to wind noise on the older body styles.. my '03 does it quite a bit, I find heating it up, and pressing the interior side of the grommet against the window helps to quell it.. till I open the door again. :)

Might also try making sure that the doors are installed properly and not cocked one way or the other. I honestly think my noise is because my door hang is a little off, but I haven't gotten a bug in my butt to take it off and rehang it. Try snugging up the Latch too, make sure it's square and not off kilter.

You can search this site and probably find my posting from last year a few weeks after I took delivery of my '05 sedan. I heard noise going as slow as 10 mph. Well today they finally found the true source of my "wind" noise. It was coming from the top of the windshield not being sealed properly when it was installed. The service manager said you could push from the inside and the glass would move! They are replacing it with a factory new windshield, said they didn't want to take a chance re-sealing the old glass. Kudos to Metric Motors!

I think my wind noise is coming from some f'ed up plastic guide/piece type things on the sides of the hood cowl just below the windshield. You'd have to take a look at yours to know what im talking about but the drivers side is aligned way differently than the passengers.

I've seen the pieces you're describing Xantium. I actually removed the sealing strip at the junction of the windshield/plastic piece to look at it.

When time allows I'm going to remove all that plastic (it's just held w/push pins) & use painters tape to masl all around the windshield, get 'er up to 80 & see if that makes any difference. I'll let you all know.

Well I finally picked my car up after Metric replaced the windshield and thankfully no more wind noise! As previously posted, the factory missed about 6" of sealant across the top but Metric decided to replace the whole windshield for me.

For those that have wind noise from the mirror gusset area I have the fix for the BH series. The DSM showed this to me and it works great, no noise in a year or so. This is for the BH and similar models I am unsure about the newer gussets.

The noise is from a gap between the outside vertical rubber seal on the mirror body and the glass.

Open the door.

Roll down the window.

Pull off the black plastic triangular trim piece. It is held on by little nipples, get your finger nails under an edge and pull it off.

Notice the gap between the outside rubber seal and the inside seal.

Interlock your fingers, like you are going to pray. Place your palms on each side of the gusset. One on the inside, one on the outside.

Squeeze your palms together to make that gap between the inside and outside seal as small as possible, if not zero.

Roll the window back up and go for a ride.

There was a TSB about the gussets flexing and getting noisey. They had a redesigned gusset that was stronger but it flexes over time also. So the DSM said this is the best fix.

If the noise if from the mirror area this may work.

Peace,

Greg

• 1 month later...
Follow up - I had the good folks at Subaru of Jacksonville listen to the noise, & they agreed immediately something was wrong & scheduled a windshield replacement under warranty. It was done Friday & I'm VERRY happy to report the noise is completely gone!:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

Just bought my 06 a few days ago, and I notice this noise at the top of the windshield at speeds as low as 40mph.

Is there a TSB for this I can refer to when talking to the dealer?

Thanks!

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come....

06 Legacy 2.5i SE.

Archived