Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

Thanks, legz for your comment, but from my measures it looks like the mini won't fit depth wise, especially considering the space for the video connector.

Did you already tried it ? Do you have a picture of it ?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't want to hack up the glove box to run wires through.. I would suggest installing it under one of the seats.

The insert "pops out" without any hacking. You can put it back at any time.

It will free up the back to pass you wire. But I didn't test it yet with the video cable.

I'll try to do that tonight and keep you updated!

The insert "pops out" without any hacking. You can put it back at any time.

It will free up the back to pass you wire. But I didn't test it yet with the video cable.

I'll try to do that tonight and keep you updated!

Legz,

Any news on the topic? I suspect american Outback/Legacy have a different glovebox. Can you post some pictures ?

Thanks.

I finally put my PC into my car this weekend. I installed the Jazzy mod as well and noticed alternator whine. Any of you guys have this problem? I believe getting a ground loop isolator is the solution. But I read in the other threads it might lower volume output.....is there another solution to this problem?

Mmm... this looks like a good solution for people. A tad expensive, but pretty much everything built in (except gps), and very small.

ASUS's P22 Nova is a small (9x7x2 in, under 4 lbs.), attractive PC designed for the living room. Like we've mentioned before, It has a 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160 GB HDD, Slot Loading DVD Burner, Bluetooth, 1 GB RAM and 802.11n WLAN. The cool thing is it has built in Hi-Fi Speakers, providing something more than TV speakers if you lack a 5.1 setup. Now it's available in North America for $899. [ASUS]
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I do not know what to tell you. I got the GLI along with the Jazzy Mod so maybe that is why I did not notice. However the volume is lower via the jazzy mode compared to the regular CD playback.

Thanks f1anatic.....I will try a few more things before adding the GLI.

Attach a better ground (currently the computer is just grounded to a bolt I found in the trunk, i didn't sand the paint of or anything)

Run the audio out away from the power wire for the PC.

add a GLI.

Also I noticed when I plug my ipod directly into the aux in to the radio I get no wine. But this is probably because the ipod is not using the car for ground.

One more thing.....any of you run into cooling issues by placing your PC in the spare tire area?

I am running a mini-tx epia M board and stuck it in a tupperware type case. I didn't add any extra cooling......just drilled a bunch of holes in the case. Just wondering if I should add a fan to my spare tire cover.

Haha see what I started?

Thanks for the logos!

Are you running centrafuse in shell mode?

Also...are you using it with your phone?

I am able to get internet access via bluethooth to my treo, but its something i need to start in windows each time. Curious if there is a "auto connect" type solution for this

I am not using anything bluetooth. Till last Monday I did not even have a bluetooth phone.

I am not running it as a system shell - it does not speed up things. I just have it start automatically though - create a link in the startup folder. It is rather slow because I have the wireless netowrking going - though I disabled the file & printer sharing, it still slows down considerably. but since I always warm up the car 1-3 min it is fine - next windows install will be on a faster hd and a trimmed down windows.

Haha see what I started?

Thanks for the logos!

Are you running centrafuse in shell mode?

Also...are you using it with your phone?

I am able to get internet access via bluethooth to my treo, but its something i need to start in windows each time. Curious if there is a "auto connect" type solution for this

Which Treo are you using? The only way I was able to get it working on my computer was via Dial Up Networking. When you're not connected to Wi-Fi, firefox (or whatever) will attempt to use the DUN connection and you can set it go automatically.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

treo 750 using the internet sharing program built into the phone.

pretty simple....just hit connect on the phone. Then join Personal area network on the computer and it is as if i am plugged into a lan with a internet connection.

just curious what resolution are you 7inchers running?

I updated my bios and video drivers on my Epia m1000 board and for some reason my vertical size is now cut off at 800x600. Meaning its stretched beyone the screen vertically.

Can figure out how to adjust the vsize on this thing. Anyone else have a similar problem?

f1anatic are you using the CFiG plug in for iguidance?

I tried it for the first time this mroning.

I setup the GPS setting in iguidance to my globalsat 353 gps mouse.

Launched centrafuse and it worked fine.

I reset my computer and the GPS setting in iguidance defaulted back to com port 1. Am I missing a step?

At this point, I have nothing to contribute to this thread.

I just want to say thanks to all of you for for keeping this thread going and for being willing to share your failures and success with the rest of us.

When AC and I get the cash we want to but a carputer int he car and I believe this thread with help us out alot. :)

I am using the iguidance plugin within Centrafuse with port 4. I always configure via IG and whatever port the automatic detection finds, then that is what I use.

got it....turns out Iguidance won't save any ports that are over 10. Changed the port to 5 and that did the trick.

I also changed my resolution to 1024x768.

This solved my top of the screen from getting clipped....but windows buttons like start button become super small. I guess i won't be in windows too often once i get everything going.

not to resolve my bootup time. 90 seconds from ignition until music! way too long

Hibernation will give you trouble when restarting the GPS. For some reason - and this seems to be a problem more so with the BU-353 unit than other serial-to-USB virtual ports the PC is unable to get GPS signal after coming back from hibernation.

Of course I also have another serial-to-usb (or maybe it is really usb-to-serial) virtual port for my Enginuity data logging - and with that I do not have issues when restoring from hibernation.