LegacyGT.com

Wagon Folks: Will a resonator help?

Hi All,

I'm about to butcher a beautiful SPT v2 catback exhaust by welding a resonator into the midpipe. I've had it on my LGT wagon for about 2 weeks now and the drone from highway driving is killing my ears. I already put dynamat, ensolite, and a sound absorbing foam, which all lowered the noise a tad. Will a resonator help? If so, should I put it in the front of the mid pipe or the back. In the stock midpipe there is a behemouth resonator in the front. But in the greddy sp2 and borla, I think there is a resonator in the rear of the midpipe.

BTW, I have ordered a 3" Vibrant ultra quiet resonator.

Any advice/experience?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right on the sellability. I might just have to market it to wagon owners eventually. My best case scenario with the resonator is that it'll still be loud when you get on it but with little to no drone on the highway. That remains to be seen though. I'm still weighing my options since my wife has approved me for a yuppie adult car lol, but I just love my wagon to death.

Silencer tips bro. You don't want to hack that exhaust up because it will hurt your chance of selling down the road. Thats my $0.02

The resonator will help, but in my experience there is not a huge change by adding one. The bulk of the sound is from the muffler. Instead of hacking up your exhaust, will the XO2 midpipes bolt to those mufflers? They're reasonably cheap once you sell off the mufflers (~$200 net) and mine had a resonator.

ELH sounds good to me - I dislike the boxer rumble. To each their own.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Yes, as in a resonator helped? or Yes, as in kept XO mid/y pipes and put stockers back on.

If the latter, I think I might do the perrin mid/y pipes and stock cans to lose the drone. The SPT mid/y pipe is one piece so I don't think I can put the stock cans back there.

Yes had the full XO TBE and had to put the stock cans back because of too much drone. It sounds pretty good , not stock like but still could be louder.

Jim

If there is no drone anywhere from 50-75 mph then this is the route that I am going. Does it get loud when you get on it? That's all I want, really.:lol: Is there a boxer rumble with your set up? or are the cans the key to releasing the boxer rumble?

I'm currently running Perrin down, mid and y with stock cans. It basically sounds stock which is exactly what I wanted but you'll have to make that call.

Stock DP, Perrin mid, Fujitsubo/Prova mufflers - no drone in the wagon.

SPT v2 sucks. I rode in a sedan equpeed with it and it was boomy, droning and obnoxious. It sounds nice from the outside though...

Maybe since i have a catted dp and AP stage 2 map, I am louder than normal. You have actually descibed my sound perfectly. It's a little more muffled though. Among other things, I stuffed pillow polyfiber into the areas above the mufflers. lol. BTW, the trunk area on top of the mufflers sounded like a Jamaican steel drum before I dynamatted them.

Stock DP, Perrin mid, Fujitsubo/Prova mufflers - no drone in the wagon.

SPT v2 sucks. I rode in a sedan equpeed with it and was boomy, droning and obnoxious. It sounds nice from the outside though...

If there is no drone anywhere from 50-75 mph then this is the route that I am going. Does it get loud when you get on it? That's all I want, really.:lol: Is there a boxer rumble with your set up? or are the cans the key to releasing the boxer rumble?

My exhaust sounds almost stock, but slightly louder: Perrin catted DP, XO2 mid & Y pipes, stock mufflers. I like it same as stock at idle, but sounds good at WOT - wouldn't want it any louder. Or go MR exhaust with the silencer inserts.

Kyle "BlackHole"

i've got a megan racing single tip exhaust and love it. slightly louder than stock. i'm also stg 2. flow catless DP and crucial mid. no drone. we'll see what happens when i change the uppipe and put on the 20g in a couple of weeks. i don't expect it to be much louder.

You may want to give it a couple more weeks before you go scrapping it or hacking it up. My SPTv2 quieted down quite a bit after a few weeks.

Stock mufflers won't bolt up to the SPT CBE.

Let's kick this pig!

I really want to keep the SPT but its embarrasing for my passengers. One of my coworkers joked that I was trying to re-live my youth lol. Another said it sounded like a dump truck. If I can get the noise to drop by 25% I'd be happy. I'm not going to weld the resonator on there anymore. The majority of my findings have been negative, as in it won't work. Short stop and go traffic is fine with me, but the majority of my driving is on the freeway around 50-75 mph, which is where the car drones the loudest.

Also, you have a sedan, so you won't have the drone experienced by wagon owners. The wagon cabin feels like its a resonator itself. I liken it to the sound of a jet taking off when I accelerate. I can understand now why SPT never built one specifically for the wagon. They should have atleast tried to put a resonator in there for a wagon. I'm going perrin mid/y and stock cans.

You may want to give it a couple more weeks before you go scrapping it or hacking it up. My SPTv2 quieted down quite a bit after a few weeks.

Stock mufflers won't bolt up to the SPT CBE.

Huh. What did you say? Could you please use caps lock. I can't hear a thing your typing:lol:.

Your right the sedan is different, but the exhaust note should mellow with a little age. Mine used to be pretty bad at first; it was real poppy and raspy, then it kinda started dying down over time. Mine actually gets basically silent above 3K RPMs on the highway now. Again, the sedan and that whole trunk thing.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived