LegacyGT.com

Oil Light

Ok First of all my car is stock, with the exception of a Zero Sports Intercooler splitter I picked up cheap.

My Oil light came on today driving down the highway, I have not been hard on my car in anyway. The oil light seems to go out as soon as I start to slow down like it is a level issue but then comes back on as soon as I am stopped. I checked the level & its where it should be, also I still have 1500 miles before my next 3000 mile oil change which at this point I am going to do early. Any suggestion's before I head to the stealer ship?

And oh yea I'm at about 37000 miles figures.:redface:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the dealership just called looks like I am in a loaner for the night. They replaced my intake throttle body about 3 weeks ago & they think its related. The rep said I am throwing two codes & one was a cam code but was unsure of the second one. I will keep you informed. PS. Oil was full so its not a low oil pressure issue.

I hope its not the oil pickup. As soon as i hear i will let you know, & its a good thing I am still fully stock beside the stereo & zero sports intake splitter. But the LegacyGT.com stickers on my two side windows wont help my efforts lol:lol:..

Well I got the official word today. MY FREAKING OIL PICK UP TUBE SHEARED CLEAN OFF.

ATTN:: Legacy owners Keep a close eye on your pickup tubes!!!!

The good news is it looks like there is no damage to the engine no metal in the oil pan They let me look at the oil which I was happy about. Its a good thing I caught it and had it towed to the dealer the tech said.

Ha, so your car is 06. You would be the second 06 LGT with the failure.

I'd not take their word everything is fine. The engine has been starved for oil. I can imagine accelerated bearing wear and such.

Looking at oil won't tell you much unless a serious failure already occured. You should have gotten sample of the oil and have it sent for oil analysis. You should do analsysis on the next oil after you get the car fixed as well.

Is there a chance you could take a picture of the failed tube?

Me, too. When I had shortblock replaced, the dealer also replaced the pickup tube (I asked them to inspect it just in case). I wonder if I got potentially worse one than the old one. Hard to say, since these failures on 04 STIs are also common.

Surprisingly I haven't noticed one failure on 05 STI nor 05 LGT. :iam:

Ha, so your car is 06. You would be the second 06 LGT with the failure.

I'd not take their word everything is fine. The engine has been starved for oil. I can imagine accelerated bearing wear and such.

Looking at oil won't tell you much unless a serious failure already occured. You should have gotten sample of the oil and have it sent for oil analysis. You should do analsysis on the next oil after you get the car fixed as well.

Is there a chance you could take a picture of the failed tube?

Great thanks for the info. I will try to get a picture of the tube, & will keep you all informed. Good call on the Oil analysis would have not even thought about it, where would I send something like this.:confused:

.................The good news is it looks like there is no damage to the engine no metal in the oil pan They let me look at the oil which I was happy about. Its a good thing I caught it and had it towed to the dealer the tech said.

How long did you drive the car after the oil light came on?

If you did not shut down immediately, there may be damage to bearings, pistons, cylinder bore, and camshafts that will show up later. Going with Dyson is an excellent choice.

This started happening Monday night, & the oil light never came on solid. It flashed three to four times then went out for the rest of the night. I drove to work Tuesday morning which is a 20 min highway commute with no light, until I pulled into the company parking lot. I shut off the car asap & called The dealer. The check engine light never came on just the oil light. the engine light however did come on at the dealer when they pulled into the shop.

Is there a difference between a flashing and a solid light (i.e. flashing = low, solid = none)? Or does a flashing light just mean that the oil pressure is fluctuating between low/none (light on) and normal (light off)?

This started happening Monday night, & the oil light never came on solid. It flashed three to four times then went out for the rest of the night. I drove to work Tuesday morning which is a 20 min highway commute with no light, until I pulled into the company parking lot. I shut off the car asap & called The dealer. The check engine light never came on just the oil light. the engine light however did come on at the dealer when they pulled into the shop.

So they started it, despite oil pressure light, to pull into the shop? :eek::spin:

This started happening Monday night, & the oil light never came on solid. It flashed three to four times then went out for the rest of the night. I drove to work Tuesday morning which is a 20 min highway commute with no light, until I pulled into the company parking lot........

When the oil pressure light comes on, it means the oil pressure is 2.1 psi (or lower), which is a very low oil pressure. At the very least, your engine has probably undergone some accelerated wear during the last few days. I'm surprised you didn't hear some rod knock.

I was so-so on getting gauges, but folks convinced me when going with a bigger turbo that it was a good idea. Looks like having an oil pressure gauge on a stock car might even be a good idea!

Sorry to hear about the problem, at least you are under warranty and the engine didn't pop while on vacation somewhere. Keep us informed...

When the oil pressure light comes on, it means the oil pressure is 2.1 psi (or lower), which is a very low oil pressure. At the very least, your engine has probably undergone some accelerated wear during the last few days. I'm surprised you didn't hear some rod knock.

No knock, no sounds, no loss of power. Only thing was the oil light which flashed a total counting Monday of 5 times. And by flashing i mean the light never fully came on full bright, if you were not looking you would definitely miss this. The light did not come on solid until yesterday morning in my company parking spot & that's when i shut it off asap & off to the dealership it went.

I was so-so on getting gauges, but folks convinced me when going with a bigger turbo that it was a good idea. Looks like having an oil pressure gauge on a stock car might even be a good idea!

Sorry to hear about the problem, at least you are under warranty and the engine didn't pop while on vacation somewhere. Keep us informed...

Thanks & yes I will keep you informed, pics will be posted tonight after i get home from work. And I will now be buying the STI gauge cluster or something similar.

Archived