LegacyGT.com

5 speeders lets talk about hills

SLegacy99

My Legacy HATES most hills. Sometimes, things are good and I roll back a little for fun and then shoot right outta there. However, there is on hill in particular on my way to work. I stop on it to turn right and yesterday my Legacy begrudgingly accelerated. Ive never seen such poor performance on a hill. Im not flooring it either, therefore Im not overwhelming the AWD or sucking all the air out from under my hood.

My 4EAT did just fine on hills.

I had a '98 Outback with a fairly rare 5 speed. It has the same engine as yours.

The only thing a 4EAT is going to do for you is downshift.

At really slow speed, the 4EAT will be superior because the torque converter will let the engine rev to a higher speed. You can do this with a 5 speed but you'll burn your clutch.

So, unless you're going really slow. I think the 5 speed should be able to do everything a 4EAT does.

Ever drive on the freeway in 3rd gear?

I dunno, I just let the clutch slip a little less while I'm still on the brake, then release the clutch while the right foot gets on the gas. Timed right, the car won't even move back.

Yes, perhaps I just need to take it up a few more RPMs.

No problem for the 6spds. :)

Touche. I drove my dad's 330xi and no hesitation. However, it also has a firmer hill holder.

The AWD on the BMW isnt as nice as Symmetrical though. I believe it is a 30/70 split and the rear tires tend to get lost traction more often then they should.

You can definitely catch the LGT flat footed if you let the clutch out from a stop without giving it enough gas. When that happens the clutch is completely out and you are just off idle, like 1000-1200 rpms. At that point if you want to accelerate when you push the gas pedal it feels like it takes forever to build up some speed. No problem when you rev to 1500-200 rpms and slip the clutch.

Ok, was the clutch the entire way out, when you were pulling out?

Reason i'm saying, the hill holder on my 99 L was insane once I installed the new clutch. I would coast up to a stop on a hill by my house and have the clutch in and applying the brake until stopped. Once stopped the hill holder works more, the harder you push on the brake. Sometimes it would be difficult to take off b\c the stupid hill holder was still engaged b\c I wasn't letting the clutch entirely out. After turning back the adjuster screw, everything is good now.

Also, there are days where my little 2.2L just doesn't seem to want to go.

Heat, moisture, and timing play a big part in how the car accelerates.

Did your problem usually happen on hot & humid days?

Just a couple of thoughts! :)

'99 Legacy 2.2L 30th.

(Stage 1 Exedy clutch, ACT flywheel, Custom Intake, JSPEC Hood, GT-B bumper, 17" SportMax Wheels, Premier DEH-P780MP, 40GB iPod)

- Jason

i got caught at a stop sign. the hill was about 35-45 degrees. (the infamous san francisco hills). i burnt my clutch. there was smoke coming out of the hood. clutch took a while for the clutch to get back to normal. for a while it was hard to shift from 1st to 2nd.

otherwise, my other hill experiences are relatively easy. rarely use the e brake. get a little roll back. i rev the engine a little more while letting the clutch out slowly.

If it's a really steep hill, I just pull the e-Brake and let the car settle backwards against the rear brakes, keeping light pressure on the brake peddle for security purposes. Then when I'm ready to roll, I drop my foot off the brake pedal, unto the gas pedal, rev up high enough to get a good clutch engagement against the rear emergency brakes (which are still engaged), smoothely release the e-Brake and roll up/forward. Works very well everytime and takes the frustration out of rolling backwards or not having enough RPMs. Have taught countless men and women to drive MTs (from almost every brand under the sun) this way.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've driven SF streets, hills and canyon pull-aways in MT-configured Subes (FI & NA) countless times with no issues. And, if I thought for a moment that I'd have a problem, I'd use the e-brake process I talked about above. It makes starting from a stop on a hill uber-easy. :icon_wink

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I learned to drive stick in my Legacy...the clutch takeup is a little tricky but once you learn around it, I've had no difficulty starting up even steep inclines (like parking structures, etc.). Just need to get the right amount of gas and clutch release timed right and there won't be any drama.

Archived