LegacyGT.com

Best quality timing belt, water pump, etc ???

I'm getting ready to replace the timing belt, water pump, etc. and I'm curious what brands have the best reputation. I read some things about Gates water pumps failing early and I'd prefer to do this job once..

Any recommendations?

Beck Arnley is just repackaged parts from another manufacturer. They don't make anything themselves. You never really know what you're going to get, but it's usually OEM quality.

As for me I'm installing a Gates this week. I guess I feel lucky.

If you do go with the gates kit, it's probably worth the few $$ to use an OEM water pump gasket instead of the paper one that comes with the kit.

Have a few hundred miles on my gates kit. So far, so good. Seemed like the way to go until I started seeing posts questioning the water pump etc.,. Saw those AFTER I installed mine. If I were to do it over again I would consider using all OEM stuff. Pretty big price difference though. You can get a gates kit for around $200. OEM package would probably be double...at least.

One of the local shops here said they use OEM parts and a gates racing belt. I had no desire to go with the blue racing belt.

I went with the Gates kit without the water pump, and bought an OEM pump seperately. This is just personal preference. Not that the Gates pump is terrible or anything, I just prefer to buy OEM for components like this. Besides, if you shop around you can buy everything for around the same price as the Gates kit w/ the pump (TCKWP328).

Gates kit TCK328 (timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, and 4 idlers): $156 from RockAuto

OEM water pump w/ gasket: $120 @ Chase Subaru (Ebay chasesubaru795)

I paid these prices about 3 months ago. These part numbers are for a 2.5 DOHC turbo.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section but thanks for the insight and those parts numbers because all oem off of carr subaru ended up being about $500 compared to gates... I try not to be cheap, but I'm not into getting bent over.

I agree with the water pump gasket comment above. I had heard the Gates WP gasket looked cheap and it definitely was compared with OEM. Go OEM.

I only have 3-4K on my Gates kit (including WP) and haven't had any issues. I kept the stock pump if anything ever happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

THe Gates belts are fine, my Gate's water pump lasted 20,000 miles before it was replaced with a OEM.

My first timing belt kit came from Advance Auto Parts and was Dayco belts and whatever water pump. That worked well till the new short block last year.

The Dayco drive belts are still on the car. 90,000 mile later, they lok great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just did my timing belt last night with the whole gates kit. They must have updated the kit, the water pump gasket is metal now. Which looked and matched the OEM gasket.

Gates puts together a quality kit, no complaints at all. Buy it from Amazon or RockAuto.

• 3 months later...

Hate to bring this back from the dead, but, found this all on Amazon, and will be purchasing shortly -

Gates T-stat: $17

Bosch97122 New WP: $90

TCK328: $125

Gates 43548: $50

By comparison, the Gates WP is about $45, but the timing kit with WP is $180, which is more than if you bought the parts separately. :iam:

• 2 months later...
After quite a bit of research, I've decided to go with the Gates timing belt kit, and an Aisin water pump. Aisin is the OEM for Toyota/Lexus, and I'm almost positive Subaru as well. I can get the Gates kit on Amazon for around $127, and the Aisin WPF-023 water pump off Ebay for $65. I'd just rather have a Made in Japan Aisin over the Chinese one that comes with the Gate kit, especially as it's only around $15 more.

OEM is Made In Japan by Yamada (at least for my model year). I paid a Subaru dealer $120 via Ebay for a replacement Yamada pump. This included the OEM metal gasket. I'm sure a MIJ Aisin is a good quality part; don't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hate to bring this back from the dead, but, found this all on Amazon, and will be purchasing shortly -

Gates T-stat: $17

Bosch97122 New WP: $90

TCK328: $125

Gates 43548: $50

By comparison, the Gates WP is about $45, but the timing kit with WP is $180, which is more than if you bought the parts separately. :iam:

I would skip that gates T-stat go buy OEM. I wont be replacing my WP when I do the 90/105K combine serivce later this year ive never seen or heard of rampant failures across the EJ255s btw 105k and 210K miles.

Good price comparison!

• 1 year later...

As above, new member and apologies for resurrecting thread, however for the 2.5I N/A for the life of me I cannot find a Gates timing belt kit with water pump. Anyone have any luck? I bought the car a week ago @108k miles and figure I want it to go the distance and manual says 105k so trying to round up parts for a local shop to swap. They quoted me $450 in labor which I think is fair considering dealer wanted $650 just in labor and another $500 in parts…

Car is a 2011 Legacy 2.5i premium bought with 107,500 miles for $10,500 OTD from local dealer.

The shop is WRXperts in Miami, FL. They were very attentive and gave me a shopping list, including cam/crank seals and new coolant. Any ideas?

As a side note… this is my first foray into subbie culture and I can firmly say I am HOOKED! Took the car off paved road into gravel loop road out in the everglades and it’s rally pedigree comes through… Truly amazing machine, plenty of power for my taste and firmly glued to the ground!!!!!

• 6 months later...
I've been doing a lot of digging around and I think I'm going to buy the full Aisin kit. I like Gates serpentine belts but I don't know much about their timing belts. I was going to get the Contitech kit as I am extremely familiar with them but can't justify the price difference.

OE or Contitech ProSeries kit they usually have a OE Aisin Water pump and OE idlers and tensioner.

Gates and Dayco sometimes puts a cheap chinese water pump but most idlers and tensioner are OE quality.

My friend bought the racing gates timing kit it had a cheap chinese water pump.

Archived