LegacyGT.com

Power steering pump died... Will a USDM replacement fit a JDM?

I have a JDM '03 Legacy GT. The power steering pump stopped working and I was about to purchase a replacement pump from eBay. (I already checked the fluid level and belt and they're both fine, so I'm assuming the problem is the pump itself.)

The eBay pump is a low-mileage OEM part that was pulled from a wrecked USDM '05 Legacy. Will this pump fit (bolt up to) the JDM Legacy?

Any help would be appreciated since I've been searching LGT.com and Google all day with no luck.

Does anyone know what other Subaru vehicles use a power steering pump that is interchangeable with a JDM '03 Legacy? I usually buy parts for the '05 USDM Legacy and they fit with no issues, but I don't want to gamble with an engine part since the engines are different between these models.

I live in the Caribbean and I cant get this part locally. I'm trying to avoid having to order from Japan for US$600, which will work out to about EC$2,000 (my currency) after freight and duty. I cant spend that on a pump.

• 1 month later...

I bought the '05 US version pump from eBay and it fit with no issues.

So far, I've bought an HKS blow-off valve, a tail light, power steering pump, K&N tyhpoon air intake, rims, dvd player, rear quarter glass (which was broken from an attempted robber) and lower control arms bushings all for the '05 US Legacy and they bolt right up to my '03 JDM Legacy. The only part that I have found that wont fit is the front bumper. I haven't tried the front bumper swap myself but the sources were credible enough.

cool. That's right. Bumpers are ever so slightly different. I think if you do a search on the forum, you'll find people do the opposite (get EDM or JDM bumpers to fit on their USDMs). They usually have to do a bit of modifications.

Did the robber get anything? Sounds like you had an alarm that scared them away. I hate stealing.

Archived