LegacyGT.com

Blackstone Oil Sample - BAD NEWS?

I have used Blackstone labs oil labs several times for my motorcycle and past vehicles. I decided to send in a sample from my 2009 Legacy GT 5MT. Here are the results and what is your opinion?

My car is all stock, no mods. I change the oil every 3000-4000 miles, always use Subaru oil filter and use Mobil 1 5W/30. Yes, I have checked the banjo bolt filter. I pulled the stock one and it was clean, not 1 speck of material in it. I purchased a new one with new copper washers from the dealer and installed them.

OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 5W/30 FULL SYNTHETIC

OIL SAMPLE MILEAGE: 3715 MILES

CAR MILEAGE: 21,265

Blackstone,

Wear is generally higher than average in this sample despite an oil run that's similar in length. Aluminum typically shows piston wear, while iron and copper show wear at steel and brass/bronze parts respectively. Silver read higher than average and that could be bearing material, perhaps in the turbo. Sodium might show some coolant, though it's hard to make that call without potassium present. Maybe sodium is residual additive from past oil. Monitor your coolant level and be alert for problems due to high wear. Check back in 2,000 miles to monitor.

Below are the minerals that were above the universal averages supplied by Blackstone labs.

Aluminum was 7ppm, average is 3ppm

Iron was 26ppm, average is 9ppm

Copper was 47ppm, average is 8ppm

Molybdenum was 118ppm, average is 71ppm

Nickel was 1ppm, average is 0ppm

Silver was 7ppm, average is 0ppm

Potassium was 4ppm, average is 2ppm

Boron was 67ppm, average is 48ppm

Silicon was 17ppm, average is 11ppm

Sodium was 58ppm, average is 26ppm

Calcium was 2467ppm, average is 2116ppm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correction, M1 5W-30 is not that great anymore. Try Syntech full synthetic 5w-40 (european formula) or go to a 0w-40 or 10w-30 M1. I am having great results with that.

High copper may be a journal bearing in the turbo. Mobil is typically high in boron and moly.

Maybe an oil analysis forum should be created, or simply, an oil forum.

This sounds like an excellent idea. We can finally get detailed analysis on what type of oil we should all be using. Kind of bummed I just put Rotella in the car 3 days ago and just found out they changed their formula.... :icon_cry:

What about Japanese? Is the JDM Quaker State not cutting it anymore?

It is still my preferred choice and they have keep the formula consistent over the years, unlike so many other "pretend" high end oils :rolleyes:, but it is difficult to get sometimes, which I suppose is the sign of a true quality oil.

thank you berkshire40, yes i did check shaft play, i took the turbo into two local shops in the area and they say it is in like new condition.

the high copper reading would concern me. have you checked for shaft play?

man you guys are being pretty hard on the guy no? it seems to me he has a legitmate concern and not your basic which oil should i use question. just sayin

yes the 2009 does have a banjo bolt filter, its located under the turbo inlet tube, you basically have to pull the turbo to get to it. please do your homework before you try to make me look stupid

:lol:

1. 09 lgt's don't have a banjo bolt filter from the factory

2. Mobil 1 and turbo subaru engines don't play well, it's been documented on this forum for years, and years, and years.

troll.JPG

this is not an oil debate thread, im not asking for opinion of your choice of oil. im asking you fellow members to look at the statement from blackstone and the minerals that were above the universal averages supplied by Blackstone labs and give me thoughts on that, only if you have the knowledge to do so.

thank you

Archived