LegacyGT.com

Spring/ strut & shock combo.

smashcrunk

Just wondering, what is the best combo of lowering springs and shocks and struts that go well together. I only want to drop about and 1"-1.25". Thus far i'm looking at eibachs w/ konis or h&r w/ konis. good combo? curious about your inputs Thanks guys!

As for Eibach (Epic) they drop 1.0 front and 0.8 rear, which is a very minimal drop. I think H&R will give it a nice drop. You can also look at Rallitek Springs. 1.1 front and 0.9 rear. It might not be a big difference compared with Epics, but after it settles, it have a nice stance.

Yea, i was looking at the h&r's too. I just hope it wont be too low, i still have to deal with winters and pot holes and crap, unfortunatly. However, being a subaru, that still prolly doesnt matter. so ill look at the h&rs. I'll probably pair them with konis. Just don't know how difficult the install is.

do u guys know if i have to buy KYB strut housing for the konis? i'v been doing some research and looks like i gatta drill in the OEM ones. i don't wanna do all that and i'm more set on doing shocks and springs vs coilovers. or can i just go w/ everything KYB and put the lower springs on therer, like epics? is it going to crap out after certain amount of miles? or is it pretty safe bet? Or if i just install springs on OEM, is that a good route? i'v heard the OEM shocks, usually crap out quick after installing lower springs. I'm not super savvy in everything suspension, and i want to do this right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If budget isn't tight, Konis is the best bet. And yes, Koni is a insert for both front and rear, meaning that you will need to cut your OEM struts. I suggest you getting some used OEM strut, even if they are blown, for the Konis. I regret cutting my stock strut and they only have like 20k on them. So find a set of used strut, and cut those out for Konis.

As for KYB GR2, they are stock replacement, but built to KYB specs. In this case, then I would suggest just putting Epics or whatever springs you choose in your stock strut and use them till they are blown.

I went from Epic w/ stock strut, to coilovers, back to Swifts on stock strut, now on Swifts & Konis. With springs and Konis, they offer the best ride quality, if this is what you care about.

In my experience, H&Rs springs are designed more for performance, and therefore some comfort is sacrificed. I had them on my old OBW. Your stock struts wouldn't last long with them. I don't think KYBs are good match for them, as they are OEM replacement. They're best matched up w/ high performance shocks such as Konis or Bilsteins.

Yes, the KYB GR2 are OEM replacement, but the GR2 is a little bit more stiff then OEM, since they are built to KYB specs. The stock are KYB too, but just built to Subaru specs.

If budget isn't tight, Konis is the best bet. And yes, Koni is a insert for both front and rear, meaning that you will need to cut your OEM struts.

Konis are only an insert for the front. They are replacements for the rear.

OP if you want to keep your originals, just look in the classifieds as somebody is always selling the oem's. If you go with lowered springs you normally have to upgrade your shocks or your car is going to ride like crap as the original springs won't have enough dampening for the higher spring rates.

They had to cut up my stock strut for my rear too.

Interesting, I only had to gut the fronts on mine.

Maybe Koni cut costs and made the rears just inserts too?

If you go to www.tirerack.com they only list the cut and gut procedure for just the fronts as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Cartridge&group=Sport&partNum=8610-1447SPORT&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5+GT&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Limited

Front fitment

Housing: Cartridge Insert

Externally Adjustable

Front fitment Twin Tube Hydraulic Externally Adjustable McPherson Strut Cartridge. Special McPherson strut insert bolted into OE housing after cutting top and removing old internal parts.

Rear fitment

Housing: Shock Housing

Externally Adjustable

Rear fitment Twin Tube Hydraulic Externally Adjustable Shock Absorber

Same information at Fred Beans.

www.fredbeansparts.com

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/koni-subaru-legacy-gt-sport-absorbers.html

Front fitment:

Housing: Cartridge Insert - Special McPherson strut insert gets bolted into OE housing after cutting top and removing old internal parts.

Rear fitment:

Complete Strut Assembly.

Same information if you go to Konis website.

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2005&mak_id=40&mod_id=423&submit.x=44&submit.y=11

They had to cut up my stock strut for my rear too.

Then you got ripped off. The Koni's are only inserts for the front.

smashcrunk - Contact msprank at infamousperformance.net for a complete Koni/Spring of of your choice setup. Then you send him your stock struts for a core fee refund. That way you don't have to do the work.

Cheers!

Then you got ripped off. The Koni's are only inserts for the front.

smashcrunk - Contact msprank at infamousperformance.net for a complete Koni/Spring of of your choice setup. Then you send him your stock struts for a core fee refund. That way you don't have to do the work.

Cheers!

Great! Thanks for the tip! Thanks to everyone for all the great input. i'v learned more from reading your posts than i have researching all over the place. The help is greatly appreciated. feel free to keep posting too. Even pics, I love too see your setups.

-Matt

Edit: what do u guys think of bilstiens btw? Are these easier to intall? any cutting of struts like the konis? or do i just buy the spec b upper mounts with the Bilsteins and i'm done? I know there are kits specially for these. But, it's not clear to me

Anyone know if i installed the bilstien HD's with rallitek springs or epics, would my car sit higher in the front than in the back?! since i need upper mounts for the bilstiens and they are 3/8" higher or something like this. And whitetiger, what is wrong with the bilstiens? haha just out of curiousity

bils are, as far as im concerned, a OEM replacement strut only meant for stock springs rates and stock ride height. Konis are menat to be used with aftermarket springs that are stiffer and lower the car. Konis are meant for aftermarket springs and lowering. they can be adjusted to accommodate any of the rates available in aftermarket springs. plus, since they are meant to be used witht he stock LGT hardware you dont have to buy jdm/spec b top hats or worry if the ride height will be uneven. the only reason why people shy away from it is because of the front insert install process, but its a piece of cake really.

hope the OP doesn't mind if I jump in here. I'm in search of new suspension too for my daily driver. considered putting something on so I could lower the car a little, but only concern is I have a hitch on the back for MTbing, and the car does see gravel roads, etc.... and I don't want to bottom out.

Budget is a bit tight...looser then it has been in the past. wondering if I should go with KYB GR2's to keep it at stock height. question is which springs to put in? car has 173k on original suspension so imagine I'll replace everything.

at what point when lowering the car do you have to start worrying about camber adjustments?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

bils are, as far as im concerned, a OEM replacement strut only meant for stock springs rates and stock ride height. Konis are menat to be used with aftermarket springs that are stiffer and lower the car. Konis are meant for aftermarket springs and lowering. they can be adjusted to accommodate any of the rates available in aftermarket springs. plus, since they are meant to be used witht he stock LGT hardware you dont have to buy jdm/spec b top hats or worry if the ride height will be uneven. the only reason why people shy away from it is because of the front insert install process, but its a piece of cake really.

ahhh, thank you for clearning this up. Yea to be honest, that is why i was looking at bils, because of the intallation process of konis. I can't do this myself, and over the weekend is to short timeline, it's my only car, thus i need it everyday. so to install these, would i need to go to a specialty tuner shops? or would anyone do this? like midas or regular mechanic? again thanks for the clarification. and i'm 100% going w/ Konis :) and probably ralliteks or epics :)

anyone who has some basic mechanic skills can do the install. if you can install the bils yourself, the koins are nearly as easy. all you need for the front is a hack saw, 2 different size drills(see koni install instructions), and some basic tools. if you are confident enough to take a strut assembly apart then the koni install will only add 2hrs to the install time for a beginner.

or you could just buy coilovers. I hear AST 4100 are nice. ;)

Archived