LegacyGT.com

HIDs on Canadian cars with DRLs, "premium" H7 bulbs

Has anyone in Canada installed HIDs on their car? Our cars run the low beams as the DRLs. Before considering installing HIDs, I was wondering what, if any, effect the DRL module will have on the functioning of the HIDs, especially when in DRL mode (light stalk switch in "off" mode).

Failing that, has anyone installed those "premium" bulbs that claim more and/or more "whiter" light? GE Nighthawk, et al.

Better lighting should mean better nighttime visibility, which I'm all for, but there are a lot of "waste of money" applications/modifications out there on the market.

"Make your car work better or go faster. Do that, or it's Bling. Bling is not fast. Bling is added weight. So Bling is Sh!t." - Tom Hnatiw, Car Guy

On our legacies, you have to turn off the DRL, while having HIDs.

You can then either have no DRL, run HIDs all the time, or run your fogs as your DRL

I haven't heard too many great things about the ones at CT, but maybe you have.

I use Silverstar Ultra in my highs/lows/fogs, they must be brighter than the stock bulbs because I do get flashed unusually often by oncoming traffic on the highway. hmmm maybe my headlights need adjustment.....oh well.

Only thing I don't like about those cheap HID kits you see, is the need to put holes in the dust covers. That can't be good as far as getting moisture in there and whatever else...

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

I have done aftermarket HID kits for my LGT. Although I like the results, they came with numerous little issues.

A number of members have had issues here and there. I've had issues with the relay harnesses corroding. Now I pull them apart and clean them every now and then.

If I were to do it again I would only buy replacement bulbs rather than a HID conversion.

Good luck.

I have HID in both headlamps and fogs....works great and I love the nightime vision. Put it in because i cant see a damned thing at night...

The DRL remove was really easy, I just keep forgetting to turn the lights off before starting the car!

I recommend to anyone wanting to do this.

There is also a write-up on how to make your fogs DRL in this forum, no use to me because my fogs are HID.

Archived