LegacyGT.com

Can I get my deposit back? (kinda long)

Daverino

I think I'm at the beginning of getting strung along by my dealer.... I put a deposit down on an OBXT last Friday-- dealer said the car would be in yesterday (Tues. the 7th). They need to do a trade with another dealership to get the color I want. Yesterday, they said it would be today-- my dealership's driver would get it "first thing in the morning". Weeeelllll.... this morning (Wed) I get a call from my dealer that the driver "is sick today, and we'll get it tomorrow (Thurs) if I [my dealer] have to go get it myself". I laughed at this. Might as well have told me that your dog ate the driver. Problem is, I've dealt with this before when I got my wife's VW. I have very short patience for this kind of thing. I'd have had no problem if my dealer was up front and told me it would take 2 weeks. I plan on going to another dealer tomorrow if the car is not coming. Will I have any problems getting my deposit back? Am I being too rash? D

Be patient...people on here have had to wait two months. It appears that the production/distribution of the 2005 is very scattered. It's not like a chevy dealer where you can go and see a whole lot of cavaliers and take your pick. But to answer your question if you could get your deposit back...I don't see why not, especially if they haven't done the trade yet.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I would say wait a little longer also. The dealer should have gone to get it himself by now, but poop does happen. If it were me, I would tell him I'm coming to pick up my car or my deposit on Friday. I didn't even ask my dealer to transfer my car. They knew I wanted an APB GT, but when I changed my mind to the 2.5i they transfered it from another dealer and had it prepped within two days without me even asking.

I'd wait a little longer. Two days delay really isn't that bad in the scheme of things, and they have specific reasons for everything that's happening apparently and they're keeping in contact with you. If you were being 'strung along' they'd be giving you longer periods of time (week at least) and then not bothering to contact you. If it happens again and you're getting too frustrated, maybe say you'll be in to pick up the deposit until they sort out the delay? They'll come up with the car super quick.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Definitely wait. BTW, why not go get the car yourself? Either that or have it flatbedded- they are going to beat the piss out of your new car on the drive to your dealer.

Yeah you can always get it back trust me. Deposit isn't set in stone just the hassle of getting it back and talking to them. Where in NE and model outback are they finding so hard to get? If it's something as honest as they said just wait a day or two its very reasonable and things do go wrong for honest people. Let me know if you need any help.

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

[quote name='jedimaster']Definitely wait. BTW, why not go get the car yourself? Either that or have it flatbedded- they are going to beat the piss out of your new car on the drive to your dealer.[/quote] Yeah, but my dealer said that he himself is getting it tomorrow. He knows how fastidious I've been thus far, and he seems like he understands my concerns regarding the condition of the car I buy. Besides, there are probably liability issues with me driving an exchange car down to the other dealer, otherwise I'd entertain the idea of getting it myself. Plus, if they get my car tomorrow, there'll be so much rain coming down, I doubt the dealer'll have a chance to thrash the engine. Supposed to get 2 inches tomorrow up here. Though I suppose that the heavy rainfall could be used as an excuse NOT to get the car tomorrow..... oh well. D

[quote name='Viperenvy']Yeah you can always get it back trust me. Deposit isn't set in stone just the hassle of getting it back and talking to them. Where in NE and model outback are they finding so hard to get? If it's something as honest as they said just wait a day or two its very reasonable and things do go wrong for honest people. Let me know if you need any help.[/quote] Thanks for the offer. I'm in VT trying to get an OB2.5XT in Atl. Blue with 5MT. There are something like 6 or 7 in the New England area. My second choice is red (and there are, like, 16 in NE). Taking a step back, I know that I am and always will be impatient when it comes to hobbies I really love. A month from now I'll have happily forgotten all this prepurchase stuff as I'm heel-and-toeing my way around the VT back roads.... D

What dealer are you working with? Make sure he has a VIN number. If he doesn't, there is no allocation for the car yet. Sometimes dealers lie and say that they can get the car right away when they really can't. They depend on customers not fighting them. I have gotten "well I am going to drive there and get it myself" speech so many times. It is a known way of making the customer patient. If they don't get the car to you or have a vin number, call your credit card company (hopefully you used a credit card) and request a stop payment on the deposit. Typically it will take only a couple of days.

Well, I finally got the car this past Thursday. The dealer did in fact get it himself, and the rest of the transaction was painless. It was funny, however, when I refused the extended warranty the guy doing the paperwork with me feigned surprise. It was the worst acting job I've ever seen. Break in time is painful... I really am tempted to wring out the engine every once in a while. D

Archived